Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MY SIRI IS NOT TALKING

MY SIRI IS NOT TALKING

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 8:02 AM

27 replies

Nov 21, 2017 12:35 PM in response to trixscott

I had same issue for days after I updated to iOS 11. Siri worked, but would display the results on the screen and not speak them out loud to me. Then I saw on a forum that Siri's volume is independent of ringer volume and the music volume. I asked Siri a question, then immediately hit and held the volume up button and voila, Siri's volume had been muted, I kept increasing the volume to the desired level and now Siri once again has its voice back.

Nov 4, 2012 6:07 AM in response to trixscott

I have a question about Siri.... Currently - its driving me MAD!!.. so any help would be appreciated...

When asking Siri a question... It thinks about it... then asks "Do you want me to search the web for .....

I respond with 'Yes" - then I get a reply... "I thought so" ... Or... "That's what I figured" - and that's it... Very helpful!! - I have provided a photo of one of the questions I asked showing a similar question and response.

Anyone else having this problem or can anyone suggest what to do?... Is it a setting maybe?

HELP!!

User uploaded file

Thanks everyone

Message was edited by: nikond100 - Just a thought... Maybe its the way I am asking it?... If it is thats even stranger... I have always asked questions to Siri in this way but recently I have had these problems... Sorry - forgot to mention this in my last message /question

Nov 4, 2012 7:35 AM in response to nikond100

Do you have some other service--like iTunes Match or downloading something from the App Store or the iTunes App, or other CPU intensive activity going on in the background? I was doing that yesterday and I experienced the same thing. So, I quit the process (closed the app or process from the multi-tasking bar and tried again and Siri worked fine.

If the answer is a definite "No, I'm not" to the above question, then try doing a hard reboot of the phone (by holding down the power button (at the top of the phone) as well as the Home Button (on the front of the phone) until the Apple logo comes up on the screen. When this happens release the two buttons simultaneously and let the phone reboot, then try Siri again.

I hope this helps.

Nov 4, 2012 9:19 AM in response to Kaka Dongguan

Hi Thanks for you feed back..

I did what you suggested...

Settings >> General >> Siri >> Voice Feedback (settings shown as) .....Always - other option was
(Hands free) - I left this as ALWAYS

Made no difference asked the same question and it gave me the same answer... "That's what I figured" / tried it again and the other message I got was .... "I thought so" - still didn't do a search....

However... when I asked the question another way.... (see attached image) - It did...

So could it be the way I am asking Siri the questions maybe?... Its only recently been doing this that's why I asked the question on the forum here.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Nov 4, 2012 4:03 PM in response to nikond100

Yes. Is this happening over wi-fi or cellular wireless? This is something to consider. If it's over cellular and you have cellular data turned 'off' on your phone that could present an issue. Make sure you have a good strength signal: wi-fi or cellular.

Next I would try:

1. Go to Siri in Settings (settings>general>Siri) and toggle the switch to 'off'

2. Reboot phone once again same way as before.

3. Go back to Siri in settings and toggle the switch to 'On' once again.

4. Try to use Siri again and see what happens.

You can also check the iCloud Services Status (which Siri is part of) by going here:

http://www.apple.com/support/icloud/systemstatus/

If the page says that everything is fine I would consider doing a Restore of your 'Network Settings' first. Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings.

After the phone reboots. Reconnect to a Network (wireless or wi-fi), then try again.

If that doesn't work:

5. Restore your phone from an iTunes back up from when you remember that Siri was working for you whether that was a few days ago or a couple of weeks. Plug phone into computer, open iTunes, click on phone listing in left hand column, then click restore. If possible, restore from a back up from when you remember Siri was working for you. (If you have several back ups to choose from iTunes should give you an option from a clickable drop-down menu from where your phone will be listed in an open field on the iTunes Restore Page. If no previous backups are listed, then you can also restore it as a 'new phone'.

Try each of these steps in order 1-5, making sure to try Siri once again after each and every step.

I hope this helps.

MY SIRI IS NOT TALKING

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.