Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 erratic screen while charging -

When charging, my new phone will open and close apps, enter text or numbers, and various other odd things. This is only when I interact with the phone, but it returns to normal when the charger is removed. Has anyone else had a similar issue? If so, have you found a means to resolve it?

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 11:45 AM

I believe this only happens when using a non apple USB wall charger. I had the same issue, after switching back to the wall charger that came with my iphone 5 it stopped the problem.

22 replies

Oct 8, 2012 11:58 AM in response to Elastible

Really, that's interesting. I'm still using the only charging cable I have, which was in the box my phone came in. It may be worthwhile to invest in a new one anyway. Another point, is that I have only had this issue when charging via my wall. When I plug the phone into my car, using the same cable, the issue has never arisen. Maybe it has something to do with the plug the cable inserts into? I appreciate the input and am glad to hear that you're problem is resolved.

Oct 31, 2012 1:08 PM in response to Haeselek

We first noticed this with iPod Touches (4th generation), but only when a hard plastic case was on them, and when the Apple-supplied USB cable was plugged into a non-Apple USB wall charger. Removing the case eliminated the problem. This doesn't make sense, but that's what they did.

Now my iPhone 5 does the same thing with it's case on.

Nov 3, 2012 8:23 AM in response to Bart57266

Had same issue - when plugged in, using a Speck case, iPhone 5 screen responded randomnly to touch or even no touch. Then I closely inspected the charger that the lightning-USB cable was plugged into - turns out it was a knock-off I had purchased last year at a convenience store. It looks identical to Apple's small charging unit, even with the green dot, but the word "Apple" appears nowhere in the tiny text on the unit, and there are some obvious typo's. Once I switched to the official Apple unit, the problem disappeared completely and I kept my Speck case on the iPhone. It is definitely interference from an out-of-spec charger. I recommend anybody with this issue check your charger or try a different charger. 100% solved.

Apr 29, 2014 6:20 AM in response to Haeselek

This reeks of a virus to me. This just started happening to me when I joined a hotspot at the airport. I'm using the apple charger and cord, no fakes. The behavior only happens when the phone knows it's got unlimited power, so I figure this activates some malware to start doing crap.

What's a malware/cleaning app that I can use to verify this (and fix it)???

May 4, 2014 7:18 AM in response to Gamerush01

It is most likely not a virus. The Iphones touchscreen measures the change in current caused by your fingers to figure out where you are touching. If the iphone is plugged into a faulty charger there may be other sources of current change that misleads or confuses the touchscreen, and produces the symptoms listed above.

it just so happens that most non-apple chargers are made to cost less, thereby forefitting quality, and that may be the reason most people find switching to an apple charger fixes their problem.

i have not tested this, but i assume charging an iphone with a quality usb-wall-charger designed for other modern touch screen phones will solve the problem and may be cheaper than buying an apple charger.

aditionally it would actually take more effort to design a virus that stole your stuff by pressing the buttons, than if it were to just run behind the scenes and steal your stuff. so it is most likely an electrical issue that wont be fixed by any software letalone an antivirus.

May 15, 2014 1:35 PM in response to vbnmklp

I concur with "vbnmklp". I experience this behavior when plugged into my inverter in the car. Inverters make "AC" from the 12V DC of a car, but its not as clean as the home AC from a wall socket. Also, cheaper USB power supplies will use smaller capacitors and such so that the output likely is noisier and evidently contains noise spikes that confuse the touch screens very sensitive circuits. I see the same thing with older touch pads on my macbook when plugged into my car inverter.

(I have an electronics background)

iPhone 5 erratic screen while charging -

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.