Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My deleted contacts still show up when I want to send a text message

My deleted contacts still show up when I want to send a text message. But when I go to my address book there not there only when I want to send a text MSG there name comes up and if I select them it only show there number not name in the message. How an I get rid of that

iPhone 4S

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 5:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 9:08 AM

This seems crazy in this day & age. You delete a contact or replace an old number with a new one, and the old one's just going to keep appearing? Apple REALLY needs to make a fix for this. There has to be some way to clear the DELETED number out of the memory. I'm not wiping my phone over it, but come on--Pretty big bug in need of a fix.

146 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2012 9:08 AM in response to wjosten

This seems crazy in this day & age. You delete a contact or replace an old number with a new one, and the old one's just going to keep appearing? Apple REALLY needs to make a fix for this. There has to be some way to clear the DELETED number out of the memory. I'm not wiping my phone over it, but come on--Pretty big bug in need of a fix.

Jun 7, 2013 1:45 PM in response to sjahangard

I think i found out a way? When ever you want to delete the contact. Go to that contact click the edit button. Then go to the name box and empty out first and last (however you name your contacts) and then when its empty go to the number box and empty it. Basically, empty out all the text boxes! I recently just tried it and when i typed in that name on my message box when i wanna send a text, the name, nor a number comes up. Basically problem solved for me now.

Jan 30, 2013 8:21 PM in response to sjahangard

This is a big problem!!!!!! Deleting is deleting!

I'm surprised more people aren't annoyed by this bizarre Apple tech problem.

I love my Apple iPhone, but...

This problem is enough for me not to buy another iPhone :(

This should be simple to solve, Apple...right???????????????????

Dear Apple, PLEASE FIX this BUG in NEXT UPDATE asap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most appreciated.

Feb 4, 2013 10:04 PM in response to Rlnbci

Rlnbci wrote:

I bet this isn't an issue with a droid.

It is, and Android and Apple are not alone in this. Even on your computer if you have a GMail account and initiate a new message, as you type in the address box it will auto-populate with any address you've ever sent a message to, even if they're not in your Contacts. So, choose wisely Grasshopper ...

My deleted contacts still show up when I want to send a text message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.