Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Configurator 1.2 "The file couldn't be opened"

Just updated to Configurator 1.2 from 1.1 (which used to work fine) now refuses to open and displays the error "The file couldn't be opened". It works fine under my Admin account but not my network account. I've already re-installed lion as well as doing a permissions repair on the HD but no luck. There is no com.apple.configurator.plist file anywhere on the computer that I can see, even in the admin account's preferences folder.

10/10/12 2:37:55.554 PM Apple Configurator: CoreData: error: (3) access permission denied

10/10/12 2:37:55.564 PM Apple Configurator: ERROR - 751ms Couldn't migrate main store: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=256 "The file couldn’t be opened." UserInfo=0x7ff2623db400 {NSSQLiteErrorDomain=3, NSUnderlyingException=error during prepareSQL for SQL string 'SELECT Z_VERSION, Z_UUID, Z_PLIST FROM Z_METADATA' : access permission denied} (/SourceCache/AppleConfigurationUtility/AppleConfigurationUtility-163/Applicati on/Models/CDCoreData.m:325)

Apple Cinfigurator-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 1:46 PM

23 replies

Oct 10, 2012 5:06 PM in response to nsdjoey

Sorry, no dice. Still refuses to open but at least the error changed to:

10/10/12 5:51:14.884 PM Apple Configurator: ERROR - 261ms Couldn't migrate main store: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=134000 "Failed to save. Unknown store type, format, or version." (/SourceCache/AppleConfigurationUtility/AppleConfigurationUtility-163/Applicati on/Models/CDCoreData.m:325)

Yes I am signed into iTunes and the MacApp stores.

Checked permissions and I have r/w to all the files in ~/Library/Containers/

Oct 11, 2012 10:10 AM in response to SkaggsCC

Hi,

First, try copying the folder at ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.configurator/Data/Library/Application Support/com.apple.configurator/ to ~/Library/Application Support/com.apple.configurator for a user that is NOT using a network home directory. Then run 1.2 as that user. Does it work?

Second, if that test does NOT work, would you be willing to share one of your configurator database files with Apple?

Thanks,

Chris

Oct 11, 2012 10:48 AM in response to christopher274

I have copied ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.configurator/Data/Library/Application Support/com.apple.configurator/ to ~/Library/Application Support/ and it has made no difference.

Yes logging in with my admin user which is a local account works fine, but it is cumbersome to have to switch all the time.

Yes I will share the configurator database file because the 1.1 version was erased in my trials and tribulations with this 1.2 version and I've essentially trashed whatever was around from 1.1, but I have backups of my profiles and can create a new backup of an ipad to use as a restore so it's no great loss.

Nov 2, 2012 8:24 AM in response to SkaggsCC

Just updated to Configurator 1.2.1 and it still will not open on Network accounts. I did get somewhat of a migration screen after I deleted ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.configurator. Be fore that I just get "Failed to save. Unknown store type, format, or version."

Log snips:

11/2/12 9:15:37.450 AM Apple Configurator: CoreData: error: (3) access permission denied

11/2/12 9:22:54.821 AM Apple Configurator: ERROR - 188ms Couldn't migrate main store: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=134000 "Failed to save. Unknown store type, format, or version." (/SourceCache/AppleConfigurationUtility/AppleConfigurationUtility-169/Applicati on/Models/CDCoreData.m:354)

User uploaded file

Nov 2, 2012 8:49 PM in response to SkaggsCC

The error at /SourceCache/AppleConfigurationUtility/AppleConfigurationUtility-169/Applicati on/Models/CDCoreData.m:354) is caused by a failure to read your existing data file. It only goes into this code when you have an existing data file. In addition, the migration window indicates that it found an older data file that needs to be migrated.

Is there any chance that your network user's Library folder is not where we expect it to be? I believe that Launch Services has found an existing data file from 1.1 or older, moved it to the Containers directory for the sandbox transition, and then Configurator is trying to migrate it, but it cannot read from Containers.

Nov 5, 2012 10:25 AM in response to christopher274

My Library folder is exactly where it's supposed to be. It's at the root level of my network home folder. /myls

name/Library/Containers/com.apple.configuator. The permissions from the newly created folder (when you asked me to move it out) are drwx------ so 700 permissions. These are the created permissions, I did not set them or alter them. My ~/Library/Application Support/com.apple.configurator folder has 755 permissions which I have not changed either. My client computer is running 10.7.5 and the server is 10.6.8 server.

I removed /Library/Containers/com.apple.configurator, relaunched configurator and it moved my ~/Library/Application Support/com.apple.configurator into it's Data/Library folder in containers so it seems to be working correctly, it just can't read it.

Apple Configurator 1.2 "The file couldn't be opened"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.