Skip navigation

cannot connect to the Mac App Store

11799 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2013 2:03 AM by fredfromcarmel RSS
1 2 Previous Next
Wardoggie Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 18, 2012 6:31 AM

Like the subject line says, I can't connect to the Mac App Store. I am using a 2009 mac mini running 10.7.5. I was running 10.7.4 when I noticed the problem, but ran software update and updated to 10.7.5. Didn't fix the problem. I also tried turning off Firewall and booting in Safe Mode. Tried signing out and signing back in again, but, of course, since I can't connect, all that did was sign me out. Nothing works. Attempting to sign in just gets a red "connection failed" and blanks out my password field. Any help would be appreciated.

15" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Mac mini 2 GHz C2D, PM G4 1.25 GHz
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (84,475 points)
    Oct 18, 2012 1:08 PM (in response to Wardoggie)

-  Temporarily disable anti virus software if installed.

-  Apps such as Little Snitch, Net Nanny, and Hands Off can prevent access to the App Store.

And try deleting the cache and cookies associated with the App Store.

Quit the App Store. Open the Finder. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type of copy/paste:    ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore

Click Go then move the Cache.db file from the com.apple.appstore folder to the Trash.

Type or copy/paste:   ~/Library/Cookies

Clicik Go the move the com.apple.appstore.plist file from the Cookies folder to the Trash.

Try the App Store.

• HACKINT0SH Level 5 Level 5 (5,750 points)
    Oct 18, 2012 9:23 PM (in response to Wardoggie)

If safeboot didn't work, what I want you to try next is plug your modem directly into your Mini.

Also, make sure cookies are not disabled in your Safari preferences.

• expataus Calculating status...
    Mar 3, 2013 9:49 PM (in response to Wardoggie)

The link that was already suggested in other posts here, works great.  First suggested solution I tried that actually succeeded in fixing the problem for me...and it also fixed another issue that had no images at all appearing for paypal.com, despite other sites working without any problems at all.

Go figure.

http://b.rthr.me/wp/?p=356 is the link that worked....

• Scruffy1981 Calculating status...
    Mar 6, 2013 6:09 AM (in response to Wardoggie)

Hi guys.....

I had the exact same problem....!

It's not as complicated as everyone is making it seem.

From the desktop since updating from snow leopard to mountain lion, I couldn't access Safari, Itunes or the App store......!

This was because these were old shortcuts from snow leopard..... delete these one by one, you might have to type in Admin password each time....

Then simply go to applications and drag them back to the desktop.... they will now work....!

Good luck everyone....!

• Mike Garner Calculating status...
    Mar 20, 2013 11:27 AM (in response to Scruffy1981)

And how/where do you find these old shortcuts ?

• Mike Garner Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Mar 20, 2013 11:28 AM (in response to expataus)

I am afraid that the link

http://b.rthr.me/wp/?p=356 is the link that worked....

Does not work.

Could there be a mistake ?

• Tumberry Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Apr 27, 2013 9:52 AM (in response to Carolyn Samit)

This fixed my issue ,Carolyn Samit  on my latest iMac running 10.8.3

I was about to try the recovery assistant and the time machine backup , but you really saved me.

THANKS A LOT !!!!!!!

I AM A NEW MAC USER BTW.

• Jaybee15 Calculating status...
    May 23, 2013 5:21 AM (in response to Wardoggie)

After trying advices found in this thread (and other ones), nothing worked, no SSL certificate issue, etc... But I finally found out what was causing my AppStore lock issue :

Somewhere in Apple's website is mentionned that some system plugins can cause this issue, and on my own case, the SoundFlower audio-routing utility was causing the issue.

After uninstalling it + reboot the AppStore was back !

Worth to be mentioned ! Hopefully this will help some of us...

Cheers

JB

PS : a thought to share

On another note I was completely stuck with a piece of software I really needed to work with, and could not even launch it due to this issue.

As a software developer, including iOS and OSX, that makes me review my good opinion about the AppStore model, offering secured software on the paper, an editor's distribution heaven, but in practice much hazardous for professionnals, letting us dangerously dependent from Apple servers authentication and Internet connection !

That is a bit sad... anyway... worth to be mentioned as well : please Apple do something, this should not cannot happen !

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.