Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I password protect my Airport Extreme hard drive?

I have an Airport Extreme with a Western Digital hard drive attached via USB that I use as a media server for my Macbook and AppleTV. I would like to put a password on the hard drive so that others sharing the wireless network cannot access said drive. How do I do that?

Airport Extreme-OTHER, w/ latest software

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 11:08 PM

18 replies

Oct 19, 2012 6:36 AM in response to Garrett Bryant

I would like to put a password on the hard drive so that others sharing the wireless network cannot access said drive. How do I do that?

This can be accomplished by using AirPort Utility. By default, the password used to access an attached hard drive is the same password as the AirPort Extreme device.

You can change that to a Disk Password, which would mean that users who wanted to acccess the hard drive would need to know the Disk Password.

Assuming that you are running Lion or Mountain Lion on the MacBook.....

Open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on the AirPort Extreme icon, then click Edit

Click the Disks tab

Click on the Secure Shared Disks selection box and change that from "With device password" to "With a disk password"

Click Update to save the changes

User uploaded file

Oct 29, 2012 11:46 AM in response to Garrett Bryant

I cannot duplicate the error that you are reporting.

Other Macs must enter the disk password the first time that they connect. If KeyChain Access on the Macs saves the password, then the Mac will not have to enter the password again when it connects to the drive the next time.

If the Mac does not save the password in KeyChain Access, then it must enter the disk password each time that it connects.

Oct 29, 2012 12:17 PM in response to Garrett Bryant

If I can create the "error", then maybe I can find a way to fix it. But, I cannot create the error. Maybe another user will be able to do this and report.

I think a fair number of users protect their attached drive with a disk password, and I've never seen a post from any other user about this issue, nor can I find one using a forum search.

If it were me, I would re-install AirPort Utility again.

Nov 19, 2013 1:11 PM in response to Garrett Bryant

Remove the check mark from the box next to Remember this password in my keychain.

Change the password

Then, any Mac that wants to connect to the disk must enter the disk password to establish a connection......correction.....I should say that any Mac here that wants to connect must enter the disk password to be able to access the drive.

How can I password protect my Airport Extreme hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.