Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

final cut pro 7 works in mountain lion

final cut pro 7 works in mountain lion?

Final Cut Pro 7, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 10:27 AM

44 replies

Jan 17, 2013 12:58 PM in response to Nick Holmes

Greetings All;

I have to agree with Nick. I have FCP X on all of my edit machines, but I haven't done a single project with it...even with the updates and additional functionality that Apple has added. Final Cut Studio works for me day in and day out, and at this point in my career, I'll stay with it as long as it works.

My biggest fear is that Apple will release an OS update that will kill FCP Studio. It's happened with other apps in the past. The iTunes update (iTunes 11) killed some really important functionality for our iTunes U site (external URL's; site-specific graphics; "More from this provider...").

To all who have moved on to FCP X, I applaud you and am glad that the applications works for you production needs.

All the best...

Syd Rodocker

Apple iTunes U Administrator

Tennessee's Electronic Learning Center

Jan 17, 2013 1:15 PM in response to Nick Holmes

Thanks Syd and Nick...

My apologies, I thought FCP 7 was up to version 7.0.6. Losing my mind. (and have my new Mac Pro that does not have it installed yet, you're right, my old computer had 7.0.3.)

I have been on FCP for 5 years now, and really enjoy FCP 7. But a new part time employee gets added to my department, and now I cannot buy another copy of FCP 7. So I have been trying to decide between Adobe Production Suite with Premier, or FCP X.

I usually produce commercials and other videos on FCP 7 and use After Effects CS 5.5 for slideshows or animating layerd PSD files.

Very confusing times Apple, very confusing...

Aloha,

Marcus

Jan 17, 2013 1:23 PM in response to 808marcus

No worries Marcus...

"...very confusing times at Apple..." indeed. I've made my living with Apple computers and Apple products since 1989 and I have to say that this is the first time that I'm not so sure where we're headed.

I can't be of much help in recommending the Adobe software. I haven't had any "hands on" experience with it although I know that it gets a lot of use in the Nashville area. I would also take a good look at present edit workflow and see how that would translate to FCP X. It's a different beast.

I wish you the best in you decision. Keep us posted.

Syd Rodocker

Mar 11, 2013 6:19 PM in response to Syd Rodocker

Syd, I just just your reply about FCP7 working on Mountain Lion/15 inch Macbook Pro. Never used FCP on anything but a MacPro. Now the company bought a Macbook Pro loaded -64 bit 650 card and fully rammed up on Mountain Lion. But then gave me a chronic deadline on a project. I've been on FCP since it came out. Do NOT want to start project with
FCPX. So you're saying I can load FCP7 on this Macbook Pro and should run fine. Since 7 is on discs, how would I load it into Macbook? I assume getting an external DVD player and plugging it in. Never done it tho. What would you suggest? This is fairly critical so I would GREATLY appreciate any suggestions you have. Just gotta get 7 in so I can edit. Thanks VERY much for any assistance on loading 7 in!

Bruce

Message was edited by: R. Bruce Perry1

Message was edited by: R. Bruce Perry1

Mar 11, 2013 7:00 PM in response to R. Bruce Perry1

Bruce;

I'm assuming that your new MacBook Pro is the newest version and doesn't have a disk player. A couple of questions: Does the software that you're installing on the new machine have the same license as the software that's on your current system? If so, you might consider migrating the entire system and software from your current machine to the new MacBook Pro (using Migration Assistant). I've been successful in using this method in the past.

I don't kow if there would be issues moving from a traditional hard drive to a flash drive machine (Although I've made my living with Apple products since 1989, I'm not a real "techie"). You might want to do a little research on that or contact Apple support.

I'm attaching an article dealing with the Migration process. All the best...

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4889

Syd Rodocker

Mar 11, 2013 8:05 PM in response to R. Bruce Perry1

While some get away with migration, there are too many people with problems showing up here after attempting it for me to recommend it. You may have issues with Color and Motion. And, Cinema Tools is known to stop working as does Soundtrack Pro and DVDSP.

The best way is to do a clean install. And, the best way to do a clean install is to find a computer that has a DVD player that you can attach a portable Firewire 800 or USB3 drive to create disk images of the entire FCS install set. (This will take some time, but once complete, you won't have to do it again when the time comes for another clean install.)

Once the disk image set is complete, move the drive over to your new machine and mount all the disk images on your desktop.

Then, start the install process. It will take less than an hour (some people report 20-30 minutes) and will run without you having to swap disks. It usually takes me around 40 minutes to do the full install.

Best,

x

Mar 12, 2013 4:45 AM in response to Studio X

Syd and Studio X - Syd, unfortunately, the laptop is the newest version and does not have a disc player nor does it have the same license. The migration idea would be the equilvalent of invasive surgery but I think you're right in that it would probably work, assuming I had the same license on both. Good idea but I'm thinking that Studio X might have the solution. I had been thinking along the same lines and I'm glad to see his suggestion. I've done disk images before with other software - not as substantial as FCP7 - then moving drive to new machine and installing. It has not worked EVERY time due to issues with the software but for the most part, it has been a successful solution. I'm going to give Studio X's suggestion a try today and see what happens. Theoretically, it ought to work. Theoretically. Either way, I'll battle this little issue until there's a victory - me or the evil empire(Apple). After that, I'll pack my meager beloingings and "migrate" to the other empire - Adobe. Painful parting. I've been in the Apple cult since FCP 2, joining up as a refugee from Avid. With FCPX, I fear that Apple has chosen to become just another phone company. Don't blame em. They're making jillions on phone, pads, apps, etc. End of a long successful run in the film/video production industry. Sad. Anyway, I GREATLY appreciate Syd and Studio X's assist on my problem! Thanks be to the Digital Gods for allowing folks like Syd Rodockerand Studio Xto guide the masses toward digital nirvana when we stumble and crash. I'll let you both know the results. If anybody else has suggestions, please post. I'm sure, as the thread indicates, I'm not the only one experiencing this NLE train wreck.

Mar 12, 2013 5:02 AM in response to R. Bruce Perry1

Just to second X's disk image advice.

It always seemed like a good idea but was something I kept on putting off because of "time constraints". A few years ago I found the time to do it. And glad I did because since then have had 4 complete reinstalls (desktop and laptop). The advantages are speed (I've never timed the sessions, but they're far faster than loading physical disks) and peace of mind because one has a back-up. (Obviously, physical disks can become damaged.)

Good luck.

Russ

final cut pro 7 works in mountain lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.