Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail notifications not working correctly on iPhone 5

On my new iPhone 5 I have mail notifications set up as on in the notification center, alert style is banners, badge app icon is on and show preview is on, view in lock screen is off. It is set up the same way as when I had an iPhone 4. However, when I get a new email and the phone's screen is not on, the next time I turn it on I will not get the banner alert, all I see is the badge icon. This is kind of annoying as I would like to see the banner to know who the email is from before going into the mail app.

The notifications for mail on my iPad running iOS 6 just like my iPhone 5 are set up the same way and work correctly.

Why would they not be working correctly on my iPhone 5?

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 6:47 AM

40 replies

Oct 22, 2012 11:39 AM in response to Scott Raymond

As you said, your alert style is set to banners. So if you wanna see the notification, you have to check the notification centre by swiping from top to bottom. So, if you wanna see an alert message for each emails, change the notification from banners to alerts. Also if you wanna see it even before you unlock your phone, you have to set the "view in lock screen" to ON.

Oct 22, 2012 12:39 PM in response to Roshanalex

I understand completely how the notifications work. They are however not working correctly. Correct me if I'm wrong but if I have the alert style for mail set to banners, if I am in another app or after I unlock my phone, the banners should pop up at the top of the screen for a few seconds and then disapear. At least that is how they work on my ipad with ios 6 and that is how they worked on my iphone 4. I no longer see them pop up on the iphone 5. It is as if the alert style is set to none.

And the ones that are set to show up in the lock screen do not show in the lock screen so clearly something is not working properly.

Oct 22, 2012 1:01 PM in response to Roshanalex

@Roshanalex

Scott is correct on my iphone 4 i used to be able to have my phone turned off in standby then if i received any emails while the phone still turned off in standby followed by a swipe to unlock my phone an imediate banner or banners would follow showing me the email/emails that my phone has received. Not the full email but at least the subject or who it was from now the banner will only drop if i am using the phone. Very frustrating of it was something you were used to using and none of your reccomendations work or will fix this, it's just another bug to add to the ios 6 to fix list. Thanks for tryin though :)

Oct 22, 2012 1:08 PM in response to ramone12781

Its not a bug with iOS6. If it was, then every1 would be having the same problem. As I dont have this problem and many other dont, the better way is to restore the phone using Itunes. Sometimes errors happens because when updating to iOS 6, the download wold get interupet and the file will get a little corrupted resulting in problems with OS. So doing a fresh download will download a new file from apple server which will be error free.

Oct 22, 2012 4:09 PM in response to Roshanalex

Roshanalex

I have tried what you are saying and all the above, I don't think you understand what we are saying is happening to us because you probably never used or use it. We understand that you can see the notification by pulling down the notification tab from the top of the screen but in the past for example on my ipad and iphone 4 it would show you a preview banner of your emails you have received for the day had you not unlocked your phone for any given amount of time and given you did receive any emails the next time you unlocked your phone it would bring up top of the screen a preview of each email you had in your inbox automatically one by one in the banners without having to go to the notification pull down. It is a bug because I guarntee if you turned it on you wouldn't see what were talkin about either and you wouldn't if you've never were setup for that intention either.

Oct 22, 2012 4:39 PM in response to ramone12781

Yes, sounds like you are having the exact same problem I am. I may try the restore option though to see if it does work. I am having another problem where I cannot play any older protected aac file from itunes on my iphone 5. They play fine on the ipad. The Apple store genius bar told me to try restoring for that issue so when I have time I may try it to see if it works.

mail notifications not working correctly on iPhone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.