Skip navigation

Incredibly poor iPhone 5 battery life whenever 3G is activated, why?

8745 Views 35 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2013 1:58 PM by brsm1990 RSS
1 2 3 Previous Next
brsm1990 Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 23, 2012 12:13 AM

I bought a new iPhone 5 and ever since I got it when I use 3G (or cellular data at all for that matter) the battery life is incredibly bad.  Yesterday my phone only lasted for about 4 hours.  I used up 20% of battery on a 15 minute bus ride.  The battery % display is more like a countdown timer.  The battery life isn't great even with cellular data disabled (with or without WiFi) but it is absolutely attrocious with any kind of cellular data.  I feel like the battery life on my heavily used iPhone 4 was better all around but this new phone is pretty much whenever cellular data is activated.  With my iPhone 4 I could always get through at least 1 day without recharging, with the iPhone 5 I never can.  With cellular data activated I'll have to recharge more than once a day.

What's going on here?  Can anyone help?

iPhone 5, iOS 6
  • Motox112 Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)

what's going on here is some minor flaws in the iOS 6, also battery % depends on signal strength while using 3G(data/LTE) it's 1:1, signal : battery life. So if your signal was bouncing bars or anything could have cause excess drain also.

Supposedly they "are working on a update iOS 6.0.1 as we speak" so hopefully all you guys who have upgraded iOS 6 get your problems fixed up!

you can't do anything until iOS 6.0.1 simple.

i use an app called, System status, you can DL that and use it to check and see if you're running high @ idle

shows how much % of CPU is being used/  and a battery % shows. helpful. might want to try it.

shows whats using the memory and all those whistles.

I just DL'ed a one called "mydata manager" read alot of reviews seems like a good app for data usage reports, and the System status app i think the battery % is close, because when iphone % shows 100% the manager is @ 100% still charging for another 25 mins then hits the green Charged mark, my phone last like 2-3 hours @ 100% battery.

I also have a iPhone 4S tho... not a 5, Oh, well try that use the app for System status and try charging your phone until it hits the Green charged circle in the App. (your phone will show full charged, keep going till the App says done tho) which is usually like 20-30 mins extra for me after it shows "100%" on the phone.

On another note, I have been recently using that Data app and seems to be pretty good to calculate your usage.

Edit: to post above, 100% for 2-3 hours is with min useage with data usage "on"

we'll find out whats up with yours.

did you figure your problem out?

and this has been on both of the iphone 5's you have had?

1 2 3 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.