Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i improve the Battery lifespan?

Hello all,

I google it a bit, but couldnt find a straigh answer 🙂

Here is my situation. I dont use my iphone 5 very often, maybe 1 call a day, some email checking and/or some messages here and there. Battery is usually out in 2 days.

I know apple suggest to leave it drain once a month but ....my question basically is:

May i charge my phone on everyday basis without killing the battery lifespan? (lets say, come to work and leave it charging while on the computer?)

Or will this be too much? should i wait until the battery is 10-20%? or even with a 60 is not an issue?

and guys, i know i can do whatever i want, im just asking what is better for my battery lifespan 🙂

Any comments would be appreciated 🙂

Vini

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 12:01 PM

Check the links provided by Texas Mac Man in this post about battery life:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3935221

7 replies

Oct 24, 2012 12:21 PM in response to Ingo2711

Thank Ingo2711 for you reply.

I read the post and i could only save this fact below:

• When possible avoid frequent full discharges. Instead, charge the battery more often. There is no concern of battery's memory when applying unscheduled charges. A high residual charge before recharge is a benefit rather than a disadvantage for chemistry of Li-Pol battery on all iPads. The best way is to keep battery between 40% and 80% charged. After LiP battery of iPad is charged to 80% capacity it switches to trickle charging with a potential to cause plating of metallic lithium, a condition that renders the cells unstable. One more incentive to keep battery of iPad between 40-80% is the rate of the charge loss when gadget is not in use. The charge loss amounts up to 6% per year when battery is fully charged, but only 2% per year when it is half-charged. Nevertheless, short discharges with following recharges do not secure the regularly calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30-40 charges fixes this problem.

Im curios if it applies on iphone as well (im not too savy on this, in fact, this is my first iphone ever) 🙂

Edit: Considering the above as true, did i understood correctly? keeping it charge between 40 and 80% is the way to go?

Oct 24, 2012 12:32 PM in response to u2vini

If you want it to last 10 years, yes. If you just want to enjoy it for a couple of years until a new model catches your attention then charge it whenever you want for as long as you want. What works best for me is to charge it overnight, every night, so it is at full charge when you get up. I've been doing this for over 5 years now, and all 3 of my phones have worked perfectly.

Oct 24, 2012 12:38 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks Lawrence, i always wondered how much time will have it if i just forget about it and charge it everyday 🙂

To me, 3 years is good lifespan 🙂

Do you know what happen with the iPhone once is fully charge? does it harm it? are you using an app to help the charge? Someone recomend me "baterydoctor" or something like that.

Oct 24, 2012 1:05 PM in response to u2vini

The charger is built in to the phone; the wall plug is just a power supply. The charging circuit fast charges to 80%, then slow charges to 100%, then shuts off. So there is no harm in leaving it plugged in.

If there are background processes running after it reaches full charge they are powered by the battery, not the charging circuit. As a result the battery may drop a few %, but once it reaches 96% the charger will come back on and top it off. Thus, occasionally when you take it off charge it will be 96-99%. This is normal.

You don't need battery doctor, but it doesn't do any harm either.

The only "quirk" of this system is that the phone determines battery state of charge by monitoring power drain, as monitoring voltage on a Lithium chemistry battery is not a useful measure of state of charge. Over time the calibration of the battery gauge will drift a little. You can recalibrate it by running the battery all the way down until the phone shuts off, then charging for 4 hours with the wall charger. Apple recommends doing this periodically, perhaps once a month. BTW, the phone shuts off before the battery is totally drained, so you need not worry about deep discharge, which is not good for any battery.

Nov 8, 2012 6:44 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Is trickle charging technically irrelevant to any of Apple's devices??

With Lithium-based batteries on iPhone 5,, charging current is turned off completely once the battery reaches full capacity??

I downloaded an app from App Store, it is named as "KINGSOFT BATTERY DOCTOR". It told user to charge the iPhone battery with a FULL CYCLE at least once a month. In the last step of charging, when the battery reached 100% charged, the app helps in " Trickle Charge" the battery for another 40 minutes.

But as of my knowledge, Lithium Battery does not need Trickle Charge, only those Nickel Batteries do.

For this I am so confused, does anybody have a knowledge on this?

Really really thank you for your help.

Thanks Thanks

How do i improve the Battery lifespan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.