Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install OSX downloads "Disk doesn't meet requirements"

Brand new Mac Mini 2012 2.3 quad Core i7. When attempting to install any Mountain Lion updates downloaded from Apple support site (10.8.2 or 10.8.2 Supplemental update) Installer will not proceed and says "Can't be installed on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements..."

Happened on two identical brand new mac Minis with no other data on them, and Apple senior tech support said they had never seen it and had nothing else to try after wiping the drives and reinstalling several times.

Just curious if anyone else has seen or could duplicate this issue.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 8:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 8:19 PM

Late 2012 iMac and Mac mini need a special Mountain Lion update > http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1603 It will update Mountain Lion to 10.8.2, so Mountain Lion will be up-to-date after you apply this update

69 replies

Nov 16, 2012 6:34 PM in response to Clif Norrell1

I have the same problem. Just bought a Mac Mini, trying to update to 10.8.2 and getting the same error. Tried the 'recovery' method mentioned in other posts, which, as you may have guessed...didn't work. I found several references to the link above, but it doesn't work. *** Apple? What gives? Instead of setting up and using my new Mac Mini tonight, I have an $800 paper weight. Very, Very disappointing first purchase of a new Apple computer product. Glad I didn't decide to buy a new MBP. At least the one I have works. 😠

Nov 16, 2012 9:49 PM in response to Clif Norrell1

This is what I've been instructed to do now (all with no success):

1. Restart the computer, holding down the option key and then do a restore.
  2. Download the 10.8.2 Combo update and try and install.
  3. Restart the computer, holding down the option key and then do an erase & then restore.
  4. Download the 10.8.2 Combo update and try and install again!
  5. Restart the computer, holding down the option key and then do an erase with zeroes & then restore.
  6. Try and buy Mountain Lion from the App Store. (Mountain Lion is not compatible with this computer)

My case has also been escalated. I asked about the DL1603 but they knew no more (or even less) than I did.

Can't install OSX downloads "Disk doesn't meet requirements"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.