Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

80GB iPod Classic in "Use iTunes to Restore" Loop

Hey all,

I've got an 80GB iPod Classic that started giving me trouble a couple of days ago. I restored the iPod using iTunes and now I get a message on the iPod screen that reads "Use iTunes to Restore" and it keeps cycling on and off. When trying to connect to iTunes, I have to flip the hold switch on and off and hold Menu and the Center Button for iTunes to recognize it. When I do this I get "iTunes needs to prepare your iPod for recovery. Please leave your iPod connected." When I hit okay, however, iTunes quits unexpectedly. I've tried this several times with the same results every time.

I was sucessful at one point in erasing the disk using Disk Utility, however, now I can't even get it to show up in disk utility. Please Help!

iPod classic, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iTunes 10.7

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 9:31 AM

2 replies

Oct 30, 2012 11:30 AM in response to Jarret Kelley

It could be an indication or a damaged or dying hard drive. I would recommend doing a disk diagnostic on the iPod's HD using the instructions given by turingtest2 in this older thread. He also covers what the resulting numbers indicate.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3784647?start=0&tstart=0

You can post the resulting numbers from the drive test and we can determine what route would be worth taking next.

B-rock

80GB iPod Classic in "Use iTunes to Restore" Loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.