Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Break Apart Clip Items?

I'm stuck with a timeline full of synced clips (compound clips) created after upgrading to 10.0.6. For the type of video I'm working on, my normal workflow used to be: Sync > Synced Compound Clips go into timeline > minor adjustments for overall length of video > break apart compound clips > major edits. But now, I can't break apart the clip items. And double-clicking on the compound clips won't open them in the timeline. I'm assuming this is because of the new "live compound clips" feature, but I still feel like I'm missing something... Shouldn't I be able to break apart the clip items still? And shouldn't double-clicking on the compound clips (whether in the Event library or the timeline) open the CC in the timeline?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 7:21 AM

34 replies

Oct 30, 2012 9:21 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Expanding audio components isn't what I'm looking for. I use compounds in the timeline to temporarily organize and trim no-action spots from synced compounds (two angles + separate audio for informational workshop videos). Later I break them apart for the main edits. I'd use multicam, but found that it's faster (or was) to edit out speakers' pauses and mistakes by not using multicam.

"Break Apart Clip Items" under the Clip menu is grayed out for me, so I can't even try breaking the clip apart twice.

Sounds like this is a 10.0.6 bug? I suppose I could use copy/paste to get the clips out of the compounds for now...

Oct 30, 2012 4:23 PM in response to stembridgemill

Apparently my original workaround idea to copy/paste out of sync compound clips into the project timeline is a no-go... Whenever I paste into the timeline, the audio's out of sync and seems to drift. It's not an audio rate issue, as everything's 44.1 kHz. If I pull the whole compound clip into the project timeline, the audio's perfectly in sync. So much strangeness...

Oct 30, 2012 5:52 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

60D. But woah... When did they change that? Here I've been thinking for two years it was 44.1... Time to switch the Zoom back to 48! Thanks for point that out.

That aside, this is the first time I've experience audio drift since switching to FCP X last year (and I've edited close to a hundred projects since then). Audio's in sync when the compound clip is in the project timeline, and when opening the compound in its own timeline... It's just when I copy/paste the clips from the compound's timeline into the project's timeline that it unsyncs/drifts. Totally weird... Guess I'll try multicam next.

Thanks for your help, Tom!

Break Apart Clip Items?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.