Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 6.1 - Still without wifi (grey out button) - grrrrr :(

After installing iOS 6 on my iphone 4S, I couldn't get wifi anymore. The button is dead. This is known in the community after checking the Net. After weeks, today I finally installed the latest upgrade (ioS 6.1), announcing wifi problem is solved out. Wrong - it is still not working!!!! In Belgium this causes a hard problem as 3G or internet via mobile is rather expensive. So it blocks me.

I am really surprised and disappointed to meet this kind of problem. I am (maybe have been!) an Macholic since almost 30 years. I never had this kind of problem not fixed after such a long time. Is Apple becoming untrustable as Microsoft gas factory? Hope not!

Can any one from Mac give me an answer?

😠 😠 😠

User uploaded file

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 9:49 AM

22 replies

Jan 28, 2013 4:24 PM in response to violetta alba

Here in Oss, Netherlands same problem. Still waiting for a solution from Apple. It's unbelievable that this issue keeps being ignored by them. With so many people complaining (more than 200 pages now in this forum concern this issue) this can't be called "rare" anymore (sic, see http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1559?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US). Has Apple changed from inspiring first mover to a numb cash cow?

Jan 29, 2013 6:09 AM in response to violetta alba

Hello! I had the same problem with greyed out wifi on iPhone 4s on 6.0.1. I have just updated to iOS 6.1 and the wifi now is working fine. I know it's been several months, but have you updated yet today?

Another temporary fix I've seen thrown around is to put the phone in the freezer for 5 or 10 minutes after draining the battery. Resets some memory device or some such thing.

Good luck!

Jan 29, 2013 6:05 PM in response to violetta alba

UPDATE: After about 20 minutes, WiFi failed again. Called Apple and after about five minutes the Customer Service Rep agreed that I had an exchange-worthy problem on my hands. I should only be out a phone for a few days with Express Exchange or whatever it's called.

Best of luck, all, but it seems like a hardware sensor failure to me, where the sensor can be reset but then when something heats up, it switches off as a precautionary measure. That would allow for the cold of a freezer to reset it when the battery is drained, but it only resets it, does not fix it. You'll have to freeze your iPhone all the time, I imagine. If you live in Siberia or the Antarctic, you might not have this problem, but the rest of us... you probably just need to replace the phone.

iOS 6.1 - Still without wifi (grey out button) - grrrrr :(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.