Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hdv fcpx

Hello

The documentation says that FCPX supports HDV.

I have several HDV files which when I try to import them, they are greyed out and FCPX says they are not supported.

But there is nothing wrong with the files on a PC in CS4 they work fine.

Any hints. Thanks

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 5:09 AM

24 replies

Nov 6, 2012 6:44 AM in response to markfrompluneret

FCP X can't import these files directly, although it can import HDV from a camera.

This situation is similar to what happens with AVCHD cameras: you cannot just take an .mts file on its own and import it like that - but you can make a camera archive and import from there.

I have never used HDV but as I understand it is a tape based format. FCP X can import directly from the tape, but since you already have the file in your computer a better way may be to transcode this file, rather than importing from tape. You could use MPEG Streamclip to do it - but you will need the Quicktime MPEG2 Playback component. This component is no longer needed for Quicktime Player, but is still used by MPEG Streamclip.

Nov 6, 2012 7:52 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I thought as much. How then is it possible for Apple say in the help fileof HDV "You can import and work with the following video, audio, and still-image formats in Final Cut Pro:" I thought I was just being dumb.

I had already bought conversion software from Wondershare which seems to work ok but takes time. Now that I have v large files, I'm also short of disk space (need 200 Gb). Wondershare is on the Mac and offers a format 'Final Cut Pro' which is 1280 x 720 H.264.

On the PC I use Xilisoft Video Converter where the H.264 conversion compresses 11 Gb files to poor quality 500 Mb. Perhaps I can up the quality settings.

What about using converting to MOV (Quicktime) format for use in FCPX? Is that good? In any case, the documentation is highly misleading. In reality FCPX cannot use HDV directly.

HDV is a common tape format but even if my i5 iMac had a DV input, I doubt it could keep up without some extra hardware, so I capture on the PC and convert.

I tried MPEG Streamclip but got my knickers in a twist. The component that MPEG Streamclip requires also requires Quicktime Pro 7 which I recall cannot be installed on OSX.

Nov 6, 2012 8:42 AM in response to markfrompluneret

You don't need Wondershare. What are you converting to? The file sizes should not be appreciably different if converted properly.

The component that MPEG Streamclip requires also requires Quicktime Pro 7 which I recall cannot be installed on OSX.

Where'd you hear that? You're in 0.7 anyway so it's not a problem. What you need is the MPEG playback component which you get from the Squared 5 web site.

Nov 6, 2012 9:18 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom, I just want to be able to edit in FCPX retaining the quality and dimensions 1440 x 1080 of HDV. Wondershare converts to 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080.

I can't find the MPEG component on the Squared 5 site. Here they say

"For MPEG-2 playback and conversion, you need the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component. You can buy it from Apple (www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2)"

but its not clear to me which component to get. They go on

"If you have either Final Cut Pro or DVD Studio Pro, then the component is already installed and you don't have to buy it; but you may need to download the latest version from Apple. If you bought an older version of the component, you can update it to the latest version (www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/update)"

but that page is not available. Trying to use MPEG streamclip it does tell me that I need the additional component.

What is 0.7?

hdv fcpx

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.