Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk erase ailed with the error :wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed.

I recently purchased a Toshiba hard disk for my Mac book pro since my hard disk failed, when I try to format it using disk utility during set up, it gives me the following error : DISK ERASE FAILED WITH THE ERROR

WIPING VOLUME DATA TO PREVENT FUTURE ACCIDENTAL PROBING FAILED.

It's a new hard disk which has not yet been formatted at all. Could you please advise on the way forward ?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 9:49 AM

25 replies

Nov 8, 2012 10:09 AM in response to hdindi

If that doesn't work, download burn and hold option key and boot off a Parted Magic CD > GParted, use the default load into RAM and use that to attack the external drive and unlock everything and change the format and partition map scheme.

Since there is no data on it, your free to inflict what you need to do to get it working. Just don't mess with your own boot drive, Parted Magic is powerfully dangerous.

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=start

Nov 8, 2012 9:58 AM in response to hdindi

Open Disk Utility, select the drive makers name and size on the left

Click Partition: 1 Options: MBR Format: MSDOS and click apply.

Click Erase: Security Options: Zero All Data and Erase. Wait for a few hours until complete.

When finished click Partition: Option GUID (if for Mac only, or a Mac boot drive) Format: OS X Extended Journaled.

If for use between a Mac and a PC: For Windows XP: MBR and format exFAT. For Vista-Windows 8 GUID: exFAT.

However formatting should really be done by the oldest PC your going to use.

For XP there is a free exFAT download from Microsoft.

Drives, partitions, formatting w/Mac's + PC's

Nov 9, 2012 6:56 AM in response to ds store

I tried the first one and it didnt work. Im not sure about the second option how safe is it?

Can i be able to remove the hard drive and format it with a different mac book pro to mac os journaled and then return it?

And again the type of hard drive I purchased is a toshiba since the spoilt one is a toshiba. Could it be that its not supported by the mac book?

I would really appreciate for help given.

Nov 9, 2012 7:35 AM in response to hdindi

hdindi wrote:

Im not sure about the second option how safe is it?

It's safe, but you have to make sure your only mounting and affecting changes on the drive intended.

It has a GUI, but it's a bit different than a Mac.

With Gparted it will tell you if there is something locked about the drive.

Can i be able to remove the hard drive and format it with a different mac book pro to mac os journaled and then return it?

You will need a SATA to USB adapter cable.

And again the type of hard drive I purchased is a toshiba since the spoilt one is a toshiba. Could it be that its not supported by the mac book?

Internal drives are pretty much universal for all computers with the appropriate size space and interfaces.

Even external enclosed drives have standard internal drives inside.

What sometimes occurs is the drive is non-funtional right from the factory, call the place you bought it up via phone and ask about your drive, it's compatability with your model of Mac and arrange a exchange for a new one.

It should just go right in and you can format it and use it. Not hassle with it.

How exactly are you trying to format this new drive?

Your signature says 10.7.5, is it a newer Mac and a globe appears and you use Disk Utiltiy

or are you attempting to format via a 10.6 or other OS X disk?

Nov 9, 2012 7:44 AM in response to hdindi

hdindi wrote:

How long does the parted magic process takes ? just loaded and its taking forever to load !!!!!

Booting a OS off a cd takes longer than a drive.

if I abort it will it damage my mother board ?

No, it only loads into RAM

If this goes on like for more than 20 minutes without loading, then hold the power button down to force the hardware shutdown and then boot again but hold the trackpad button and option key down.

The disk should pop out, else you load Startup Manager again and keep pressing the eject key on the builtin/wired keyboard.

Nov 9, 2012 10:52 AM in response to ds store

Hey da store thanks alot for your information it really. Helped me. I managed to format it but still have an error with the installation of mac os x lion. When i try to installing i get the following error : An error occured while preparing the installation. Try running this application again.

I had earlier done internet recovery before formating the new hard drive. Could the rcovery be an effect to the installation?

Nov 9, 2012 11:03 AM in response to hdindi

An error occurred while preparing the installation.

Do...

Open Disk Utility, select the drive makers name and size on the left

Click Partition: 1 Options: MBR Format: MSDOS and click apply.

Click Erase: Security Options: Zero All Data and Erase. Wait for a few hours until complete.

When finished click Partition: Option GUID (if for Mac only, or a Mac boot drive) Format: OS X Extended Journaled.

...via the Internet Recovery (command option r boot) on the ENTIRE drive by selecting the drive makers name and size on the left.

All new drives have bad sectors from the factory and usually there is a mechanism in place to eliminate them, except when they occur in certain spots.

If this fails and you still can't install OS X, then return the drive for a exchange.

Dec 25, 2012 7:24 PM in response to hdindi

Same format error occured when trying to install SSD into 2012 Mac Mini. Had to put SSD in slot where original HD was, and move HD to optical bay, issue disapeared. Had previously taken apart machine numerous times to check SSD and cable connections, no issues found, but not able to use drive when machine booted. Swapped drive locations, no futher issues. Appears Apple or the SSD manufactures have something that requires SATA slot one or in the Mac Mini's case the "lower" SATA slot. Not sure about those wanting two SSD's in their machine. Refer to this link:

http://www.hendrikvh.com/mac/files/MacSSDIssues.php

Disk erase ailed with the error :wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.