Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There are purchased items on the iPhone “X’s iPhone” that have not been transferred to your iTunes library. You should transfer these items to your iTunes library before updating. So how about a clue as to what's not transferred and how to?

There are purchased items on the iPhone “X’s iPhone” that have not been transferred to your iTunes library. You should transfer these items to your iTunes library before updating this iPhone. Are you sure you want to continue?

Sounds important. It might be helpful if I had a clue as to which purchased items have not been transferred and some instructions on how to transfer purchased items that have not been transferred. I would like to update my phone's OS to the latest release.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6, I would like to update to iOS6.0.1

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 7:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 4:52 AM

Sync'd, backup up, File | Devices | Transfer Purchases from iPhone, rinse, repeat. Even saw the message 'Transferring Purchases from iPhone' at one point.

Still couldn't make the 'Purchases have not been transferred' message go away. Gave up. Unclear what we've lost.

51 replies

Dec 26, 2012 1:23 PM in response to roaminggnome

This doesn't seem to make any difference.

I'm using iTunes 11 and iPhone 5 on 6.0.1 (and want to upgrade to 6.0.2)

- I have switched on the Menu bar (why on Earth is this switched off by default)

- and then done File>Devices>Transfer Purchases from X's iPhone

There was a brief whirl of activity, which made me think the transfers were made, but no. Same old error message. I agree entirely with Claridge9ne's comment about the error message.

Jan 3, 2013 2:36 PM in response to jc.evans

I'm no Apple expert, just ran into this problem myself.

Solution:

1) Before you can transfer the purchases you need to Authorise the computer (do this from the Store menu)

2) Once the computer is authorised, then you can transfer the purchases (File->Devices->Transfer...)

User Experience comments for Apple:

3) Hiding the menu bar is plain stupid and ruins the User Experience. I've been fighting iTunes for weeks and only now have I found it. How useful. This really is not clever or smart. It's amazingly dumb. Frustratingly this is like the rubbish Microsoft is now doing with Vista/7 and moreso with Windows 8.

Repeat after me: Hiding menus does not help the user of the software.

4) The warning when you try to update is useful in that it stops you losing data but useless in that it doesn't tell you (in sensible, non-expert language) how to do this. It really should have either:

a) A help button taking you to an explanation of the problem

b) A "transfter these files for me button" that takes you through all the necessary steps, including authorising the computer if need be.

I'm gobsmacked that I'm advising Apple on User Experience issues, but there you go.

Feb 3, 2013 2:17 PM in response to Stephen Kellett

Yep. This was a really dumb move from Apple's standpoint. I tried synching, backing up, everything I saw from the menu (that I only could see if I right-clicked on the phone but NOT on the little disconnect device arrow) and then finally just googled the error message to get this.

What a stupid UI choice. Helpful tip to your usability people: Make the DEFAULT UI braindead simple and then let sophisticated users hide stuff if they like. Doing it the other way around is annoying.

Mar 24, 2013 3:43 PM in response to Claridge9ne

In my opinion, this is a problem in the user interface, and it's quite unnecessary, and it's quite annoying, and Apple should eliminate it in the next release of the iOS. How it should work: when the upgrade process comes to that point at which it notices some apps haven't been transferred, then it pops up a dialog box and asks "... would you like to transfer them now, automatically? [Yes][No][Cancel Upgrade]" -- or -- (my preference) then it just transfers them automatically without asking.

May 9, 2013 3:26 AM in response to Claridge9ne

I recently was attempting to restore my iPhone trying to fix the mixed up album art issue and I have managed (inadvertantly) to nail down the cause of the "purchased items" error.

iTunes is throwing a tantrum because you will be erasing the Apps off your phone. If you do not see the same apps on you phone in the apps window of the device in iTunes, then that is what it is complaining about. I only figured that out after turning the sidebar back on because File | Devices | Transfer Purchases was greyed out (it's fine now that I have done it though) and saw it transfer nothing but Apps.

There are purchased items on the iPhone “X’s iPhone” that have not been transferred to your iTunes library. You should transfer these items to your iTunes library before updating. So how about a clue as to what's not transferred and how to?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.