Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 sleep/wake button not working

I've had my iPhone 5 since launch day and have had no problems up until about a week ago. It's one of my most prized possessions (along with all my other Apple products) so I've been super careful with it, and have never dropped the phone. However, the sleep/wake button is very unresponsive. It's fine when pushing on the left most side of the button, but the rest to the right is completely unresposive. Any ideas as to how I go about fixing this?

Thanks.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 1:50 PM

Bring it to Apple. If defective, it will be replaced.

121 replies

Nov 20, 2012 9:38 AM in response to natd1993

It was boxed by not in a retail box. It was in a sealed slim white box (no accessories). I'm assuming each store has an allotment of these devices for the Genius Bar. I'm sure these are typically refurbished units but I'm not sure how many refurbed units there are so soon after launch. Regardless, I was in and out of the store in less than 10 minutes and I now have a functioning phone.

Nov 26, 2012 2:14 PM in response to natd1993

I have the same issue with my iPhone 5. My sleep button is starting to go out. Only the left side of it is responsive right now. It started about two weeks ago. It has never been dropped and kept in an Otterbox the whole time. I'm hoping to schedule a Genius Bar appointment soon, but I have to drive one hour to get there.

Nov 26, 2012 3:03 PM in response to DJTrey

I'll reply to you and hopefully end this post. Everyone listen to me. This is a common issue. Set up an appointment at an apple store and take it in. I took mine in, they will see it doesn't work, and instantly replace it. I was in and out in 10 Minutes. They will give you a brand new phone. Very cooperative. You'll back up your phone in there, sign in to the new one, and it'll be as if you didn't even know you got a new one

iPhone 5 sleep/wake button not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.