Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to record FaceTime calls on a Mac?

My wife is trying to record her FaceTime calls with a friend from across the country. I noticed that Messages has a record chat option under video but whenever I start a FaceTime call it become gray. Am I doing something wrong? How can we record her conversations?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 5:49 PM

21 replies

Feb 22, 2017 8:55 PM in response to Alexzander1026

The best option so far, and one that works really well, is to use QuickTime. Until now I used to believe that QuickTime would not allow you to record both the sides of the conversation, but it is possible. I've pasted the link to this video below which should explain things in detail, but I'll sum it down for you:

- Firstly, you'll need a software capable of recording computer playback audio (I use Loopback).

- Open Spotlight Search (using CMD + Space) and type in "Audio MIDI Setup". Open the app.

- On the bottom-left side of the menu, click on the '+' icon and select "Create Aggregate Device". It basically allows you to use multiple input/output devices at the same time.

- After that, just to the right of it, it'll show you a list of your input/output devices. Under the heading "Use", check the box for the ones you'd like to use during the screen recording on QuickTime (For the purpose of FaceTime, it should basically be whichever microphone you're using and Loopback. Make sure you select Loopback.) Don't alter any other settings.

- Normally when you create an aggregate device, the Mac automatically names it "Aggregate Device" but you can call it whatever you need to.

- Close the Audio MIDI Setup window.

- Give the Mac a few seconds.

- Now, go to QuickTime and under the "File" heading, select "New Screen Recording".

- Next to the Red Recording dot, click on the downward facing arrow, and under "Microphone", select "Aggregate Device" (or whatever you named your configuration).

- That's it. When you record and playback the screen recording, you should have the screen recording, the playback from the laptop as well as the input from your side.

I would suggest testing it before the call. Also, the reason I suggested to wait for a few seconds after creating the new configuration is because I tried it myself and the new Aggregate Device does not instantly show up.

To make sure that the Aggregate Device was created, you can even go to the sound settings under System Preferences, go under the "Input" heading, and check if your Aggregate Device configuration shows up there.

Here's the link to the video that helped me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2d4JEwMCCQ

Let me know if you face any issues.

Nov 2, 2013 11:14 AM in response to Alexzander1026

I use Snapz Pro. - http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/

The app has an old look to it, but it is solid and battle tested for years. It's performant and has high quality output. Also, it has checkboxes to record "Audio In" and "Audio out" or both. It works flawlessly. It's payd software but I have a license for years now and it's always updated to newer versions of OSX even before the new releases. Worth every penny!

User uploaded file

Nov 24, 2013 12:23 PM in response to Husam AbuZaid

Yes it did!

As you can see on my screenshot, there are checkboxes for both mic and mac audio.

Audio quality is great. By default, it saves the video with both sides of the conversation in one stereo channel. No edit needed. But if you plan to edit the audio later, it's capable of saving two stereo tracks. This way you can achieve great quality video podcasts by turning down the volume of the person which is not talking. If both sides uses microfone and disable noise reduction, you can have the full stream of both sides almost uninterrupted and you can fade from one track to the other on your video editing software.

About capturing the video: You can even record full screen. It works OK on MacbookPro non retina, 8G RAM, 2.7Ghz Core i7 in OSX Mavericks in 30fps, sometimes FaceTime drops the fps and I am not shure if it's the performance or networking problems. I like to record a 800x800 square in 10fps, tho. I believe FaceTime is smart to not stream the full quality video, and usually I get better results. With this setting I also can use iGlasses (another comercial software, works also works on Mavericks) to make fun effects or show videos and still have good performance. I record a square because when people turn the devices FaceTime turns the window too. This way it's never cropped.

How to record FaceTime calls on a Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.