Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS6 freeze, quit or jerky scrolling, browsing with Burmese (Myanmar) unicode fonts

Unicode fonts have been used for many years.

We use Burmese Unicode fonts name Zawgyi Unicode font to view our language on web.

We use special apps (Mogok, Myanmar Browser lite) for viewing on iPhone and iPad as this font is not embeded.

They are OK to view all our language sites without problems prior iOS 6.

Now with iOS6, the problems come.

Safari engine (rendering for web pages) causes those apps frozen, quit or jerky scrolling on all Apps especially Mail, Safari and other Myanmar apps.

If we receive emails with our unicode fonts, Mail App is frozen or quit.

Not even that font, Apple approved Myanmar Unicode fonts also have the same issue.

Here is the web link (Mizzima News - Burmese) you can browse on iOS Safari and you won't see the language display but you will see the problem. If you download the apps that I have mentioned, you will be able to view the fonts.

This is not an isolated incident. It happen on all iphones and ipads with iOS6.

So, it is clearly A BUG.

iPad, iOS 6

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 11:11 AM

32 replies

Nov 26, 2012 11:37 AM in response to zawhtway

I have a correspondence with a gentleman from Apple ( I would think he is from the developement team) and he said "I just saw your email with the sample text and confirmed that there is a problem reading the text. I will look into it and file the appropriate defect report."

So now our case is noticed and it will be taken care of appropriately.

Let's cross our fingers and see the wonderful result on the next update.

PS. Whoever read this thread and if you are concerned with Burmese fonts problems, please submit bugreport at Apple.

https://bugreport.apple.com/

If you need any assistance on submitting report, let me know. we will help you out on this forum.

Or you can find some discussion at this thread.

The more we submit bug report, the more it will be noticed by Apple Developers and it would be taken care of soon.

We will be very much appreciate with your help.

Thanks

Nov 26, 2012 11:53 AM in response to zawhtway

But there's one catch. I sent several mails filled with our language to one of my fri in US who use iPhone 5 and what she said was that your mails were totally blanked (contain nothing). I'm glad to hear your news but I'm afraid we couldn't get fixed version at 6.1

Nov 26, 2012 12:01 PM in response to Community User

@MTO: There would be several issues, which we don't know. Have you tested with other friends? or test those mails urself? Was it sure that it contained nothing or block letters? What apps is she using? Her mail provider (like gmail, yahoo) are also a factor. If she is using internal network (wifi), filtering on router is also another issue. You have to troubleshoot from all possible aspects.

Nov 26, 2012 1:23 PM in response to Community User

Myo Thein Oo wrote:

I sent several mails filled with our language to one of my fri in US who use iPhone 5 and what she said was that your mails were totally blanked (contain nothing).

Since there is no Myanmar font in iOS, I don't think you can see this language on a standard iPhone using Mail or Safari. The problem is that it will freeze the apps in iOS 6.

To see Myanmar script you need to be using special apps which provide the font internally (or add it to iOS via jailbreaking). Or a website could use embedded webfonts.

Or correct me if I am wrong....

Nov 26, 2012 2:25 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hi Tom,

I think you remember our discussion on this before.

What MTO saying here is a different issue. His friend might have issue at receiving emails on her end as I mentioned above. There are several reasons and points to take a look.

Apart from the freezing issue that we are currently facing, I don't anticipate any widespread issue concerned with iOS6 or 6.0.1 related to Myanmar font.

Dec 11, 2012 12:50 AM in response to zawhtway

Dear Ko Zaw,

I received a mail after 2 weeks of bug reporting and they said my bug report had been closed as a duplicate. I don't know what'd that mean? What should I do forward?

iOS6 freeze, quit or jerky scrolling, browsing with Burmese (Myanmar) unicode fonts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.