Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I get the "Unable to Move Message. The message could not be moved to the mailbox Trash". whenever i try deleting from my ipad 2. I am unable to delete from Trash...HELP

I get the "Unable to Move Message. The message could not be moved to the mailbox Trash". whenever i try deleting from my ipad 2. I am unable to delete from Trash...HELP!

Additional info...I am trying to delete these emails from a Webmail address. the Trash currently has 11 messages and they arent being deleted.

iPad 2, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2017 8:20 AM

Not sure if it will be there for all types of account, but I still get it on iOS 10 for my account : Settings > Mail > Accounts > account > Account > Advanced > Deleted Mailbox

User uploaded file

Another option is to delete and add the account back

25 replies

Feb 4, 2017 8:25 AM in response to Stuarta56

I don't have a Microsoft Exchange account, so not sure how they work - if somebody else has had a similar problem they'll hopefully reply with how they fixed it.

The '-' instructions is how you used to close apps back in 2012 when I posted it, on iOS 10 it's different : Force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Jan 24, 2017 3:05 AM in response to GaryiPhone

All previous answers did not work for me.

I have gsuite / google apps paid account since that provides push mail.

So none of the imap answers are very useful.

What did help was

https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/138740?hl=en

and specifically going to

http://m.google.com/sync/settings

in your iOS device' browser.

That brings up a (unknown) mobile sync settings menu that is, well, very well hidden.

Tick the second checkbox Enable "Delete Email As Trash" for this device to on.

Click save.

Do this per device where this email account is used.

To clear the local mail cache, go to settings / mail / your gsuite account.

delete the account.

When done, reboot the iOS device.

After reboot, go to settings / mail / add account.

Add the gsuite / google apps account by selecting EXCHANGE (see help page above).

Add m.google.com as the server.

User is your full email address.

check your email / calendar / contacts / notes preferred settings.

And all should be fine again.

Feb 4, 2017 6:02 AM in response to King_Penguin

One other thing I forgot to mention. I was never able to do the following step that you mentioned in your earlier post:

If that doesn't work then try closing the Mail app via the taskbar : from the home screen (i.e. not with the Mail app 'open' on-screen) double-click the home button to bring up the taskbar, then press and hold any of the apps on the taskbar for a couple of seconds or so until they start shaking, then press the '-' in the top left of the Mail app to close it, and touch any part of the screen above the taskbar so as to stop the shaking and close the taskbar.

I never got the '-' and only succeeded in deleting my mailbox app which I then had to reinstall

Feb 4, 2017 8:27 AM in response to GaryiPhone

One other thing I forgot to mention. I was never able to do the following step that you mentioned in your earlier post:

If that doesn't work then try closing the Mail app via the taskbar : from the home screen (i.e. not with the Mail app 'open' on-screen) double-click the home button to bring up the taskbar, then press and hold any of the apps on the taskbar for a couple of seconds or so until they start shaking, then press the '-' in the top left of the Mail app to close it, and touch any part of the screen above the taskbar so as to stop the shaking and close the taskbar.

I never got the '-' and only succeeded in deleting my mailbox app which I then had to reinstall

May 14, 2017 12:18 AM in response to Stuarta56

What worked for me was to tap the filter icon in the bottom left of the inbox folder which converted to "unread". In the dialog box which then appears, uncheck "unread". When you go back into the inbox and hit the filter button again, the obstinate email disappears. I don't know where it went since it was not in the deleted folder, but it was completely gone from the email program.

Please give that a try.

Nov 26, 2012 12:00 PM in response to GaryiPhone

Try turning the account off and on : Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars , then tap the account on the right, slide Mail to 'off', exit settings and go back into the Mail app, and then go back to Settings and slide Mail back to 'on'

Another option is a reset : press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds (ignore the red slider), after which the Apple logo should appear - you won't lose any content, it's the iPad equivalent of a reboot.

If you still can't delete them then go into Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, select the account on the right-hand side of that screen, select Account, then Advanced, Deleted Mailbox, and under On The Server tap the 'Trash' folder so that it gets a tick against it - then come out of that series of popups by tapping on the relevant buttons at the top of them and then see if you can delete emails.

I get the "Unable to Move Message. The message could not be moved to the mailbox Trash". whenever i try deleting from my ipad 2. I am unable to delete from Trash...HELP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.