Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Freeze related to hard drive?

Hi.

I have an 15'' Macbook Pro Late 2011.

I am having this freezing issue since I got it. I run it with Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion and there is no change in status, still having freezes.

Had the Apple Hardware Test like 10 times but no clue about issue.

Now.

I am having a hard disk related issue for the 3rd time. First my hard disk was crashed and didn't even see the boot screen. Then I had the same again. Yesterday I had this issue that in the boot screen -gray Apple screen with the loading thing- it was stucked forever. Luckily I had another partition on my disk so I installed ML on it to boot. First I was able to see my broken partition. But after a restart it was gone. In disk utility it was unmounted. I tried to mount it back, but no response.

So, do you think all freezing and these issues can be a hard drive related thing? Is there a way to check it?

And I am suspected from the GPU too because I am always having these broken (pixelated) areas in Safari and etc.

Sorry about my English. I am so wasted right now.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 1:26 PM

A late 2011 MBP comes with Lion and should not be able to run with Snow Leopard. (I tried that using my Snow Leopard retail disk) Downloading a Snow Leopard OS from the Internet has been successfully installed in a late 2011 MBP by some, but aside from the legal aspects, these versions may have additions/deletions/modifications that may be the cause of your problems.

I suggest that you delete Snow Leopard and do a clean install using Lion or Mountain Lion.

Ciao.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2012 1:26 PM in response to serhatkar

A late 2011 MBP comes with Lion and should not be able to run with Snow Leopard. (I tried that using my Snow Leopard retail disk) Downloading a Snow Leopard OS from the Internet has been successfully installed in a late 2011 MBP by some, but aside from the legal aspects, these versions may have additions/deletions/modifications that may be the cause of your problems.

I suggest that you delete Snow Leopard and do a clean install using Lion or Mountain Lion.

Ciao.

Nov 26, 2012 1:29 PM in response to serhatkar

Backup files off the machine and secure erase with with Zero (or middle option in 10.7/10.8) the ENTIRE drive and reinstall your flavor of OS X.

Reducing bad sectors effect on hard drives

A Late 2011 came with 10.7, not 10.6, so you must have shoehorned it on somehow and I don't beleive there are hardware drivers for 10.6 on a Late 2011.

Are you sure it's not a Early 2011?

Get 10.6.8 on it then upgrade to 10.8 via the AppSore, option click on purchases and reinstall.

Nov 26, 2012 1:58 PM in response to serhatkar

If you had 10.8 on the machine, then your Recovery HD partition should be that.

Hold command option r and boot, use Disk Utility to middle secure erase the entire drive, then reinstall 10.8 fresh from Apple' servers.

You will need your AppleID and password, as it was a paid upgrade.

No need to go the 10.6 to 10.8 route (you can bypass 10.7)

Restore your free iLife from the 10.6 disks

Restoring your Free iLife (iPhoto, iMovie etc)

Freeze related to hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.