Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

First Generation AppleTV Compatible with iTunes 11

Does anyone know if the first generation AppleTV will still work with iTunes 11?

Apple TV

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 11:00 AM

23 replies

Nov 30, 2012 11:35 AM in response to RGUltra

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your AppleTV1. I was going to try it out this weekend and see how it works, now I will wait a bit longer.

Maybe the best thing to try is a factory reset and update to the AppleTV and start everything all over again. Only bummer is that you will have to repopulate the AppleTV again. I hope it works out for you.

Nov 30, 2012 2:25 PM in response to kivus

I fixed the Movies icon. I can only assume that for some reason the ATV1 got upset with something that the new iTunes sent it or asked it to do. Using the Software Menu app / plugin I went to Built-In and there was Movies marked as hidden. Software Menu didn't really want to re-enable it and it took a couple of attempts but now it appears to have stuck.

Having sorted that out my impressions of iTunes 11 is that it generally plays better with the ATV1 that previous iTunes.

Dec 4, 2012 8:25 PM in response to kivus

The only issue I found, which is a no problem for me, there is no Sync button in the ATV1's sync settings in iTunes like the iOS devices have. If you wish to force a sync from iTune you must enable the Side Bar from iTunes View menu then right click the ATV's entry for a sync option. Like I said, this is a non-issue for me since auto-sync is working fine.

Dec 5, 2012 1:09 AM in response to hackedOffWithApple

AppleTV 1 isn't icon driven

It doesn't have a Software Menu app either - have you hacked it?

hackedOffWithApple wrote:

I fixed the Movies icon. I can only assume that for some reason the ATV1 got upset with something that the new iTunes sent it or asked it to do. Using the Software Menu app / plugin I went to Built-In and there was Movies marked as hidden. Software Menu didn't really want to re-enable it and it took a couple of attempts but now it appears to have stuck.

Having sorted that out my impressions of iTunes 11 is that it generally plays better with the ATV1 that previous iTunes.

Dec 5, 2012 3:12 AM in response to kivus

I have slowly worked my way through all the functions of iTunes 11 and my three (still very reliable) 1.5TB ATV1's and am very pleased to say that, with one exception, they appear to play very nicely with each other. Unlike has been reported, I have had no problems with 720P vs 1080P movie selections and in all cases I have not had to reset the devices, they have simply continued working as they were.

The one exception is a very stange bug that is easily circumvented (I have now confirmed this on two different iTunes 11 Libraries). With the sidebar enabled, an ATV1 selected and TV Shows selected it initially appeared to be impossible to scroll the TV shows if the mouse cursor was over the TV Shows column on the left or the seasons column on the right. By accident I discovered that if I move the cursor to the left or right of these columns, then scrolling would continue as normal. If my description of the problem is hard to follow it's because its difficult to describe 🙂. I was going to write a bug report to Apple but my time is too precious to argue with those guys ever again.

All in all, I am really pleased that the good old ATV1's are still being looked after by the iTunes developers.

First Generation AppleTV Compatible with iTunes 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.