Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Play counts not updating? - iTunes 11

Just updated to iTunes 11 and track information such as play count, skip count, laste played date, etc. are NOT updating as I listen to songs. I have quite a few smart playlists based around this data and now they aren't updating.

Just me or is this a bug?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 1:34 PM

30 replies

Dec 4, 2012 9:16 AM in response to iTunes Guy

No, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with Crossfade.

You can't say Crossfade doesn't have anything to do with this issue if it has fixed it for me and many, many more people. It may not be the only cause of playcounts not properly working, but it is an issue that can be duplicated. The act of pausing and restarting the music may be refreshing the Up Next list. Once I disable Crossfade playcounts are updated normally unless I re-enable Crossfade and restart playback. The crossfade feature itself is not working either.

Dec 4, 2012 9:42 AM in response to Stephen Spark

Well, how odd. I woke up my computer to find my iTunes behaving in the same manner...

Well as far as I can tell Up Next is not "playing" well with Crossfade (pun intended)

To put it simply, with iTunes 11, you can have either one or the other. Not both. If you have Crossfade on, your play counts/dates will not be updated. If you don't, they will but you won't have any crossfading. I theorize that this new unnecessary feature has broke the functionality between Crossfading and the Last Played/Play Count fields.

Of course, what more can you expect from a powerful company like Apple? After all, Micro$oft Windows Media Player's crossfade has been broken for a while. Stupid software doesn't start timing the next song until AFTER the first one is finished, Someone sure as heck dropped the ball on that one. I guess it's too much to ask for everything to work as it should in either Media Player.

Dec 4, 2012 10:17 AM in response to Stephen Spark

Crossfade is involved for sure

for me with crossfade enabled playcounts and "last played" field are NOT updated

with crossfade disabled, playcounts and "last played" DO get updated.

Nothing else, no other variants, nothing changed, no relaunch, nothing, tested on same song.

So thank you again for pointing out the solution, crossfade isn't important for me, whilst playcount and last played are.

Play counts not updating? - iTunes 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.