Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11 doesn't seem to allow proxy authentication

When I was using iTunes 10 to connect to the store I was asked to provide proxy authentication.

Upon upgrading to iTunes 11 I just get a "could not connect" message with no requests for authentication.

Any ideas?

iTunes 11-OTHER, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 5:00 PM

22 replies

Dec 1, 2012 11:20 AM in response to stevegnz

You like the rest of us trying to use this in an environment with a proxy. iTunes 11 simply never asks for credentials on a windows machine meaning that you can never access Apple to purchase or do anything. On windows you appear to need a direct internet connection for itunes to function.

If you have a MAC try Authoxy as it apparently solves all the issues that Apple have not been able to fix.

http://www.hrsoftworks.net/Products.php

Note that the author of Authoxy wrote it because this has been an outstanding problem with Apples software for years. Sad there is no windows version. If you don't run a pac file you can try proxifier as a solution on windows. This will not handle pac files so you need a defined proxy for each configuration.

Dec 5, 2012 8:12 AM in response to irobhob

Thanks irobhob, solved. I just downloaded and installed iCloud Control Panel 2.1 for Windows (i did not have it in my PC before), and it did ask for proxy authentication. Once done, I opened iTunes 11 and unlike before, this time proxy authentication was asked (of course you have to enter it a couple of times). So, the "iTunes cannot connect to the iTunes Store" error was gone and I could finally update my iPad to iOS 6 via PC. No reboot was required.

Dec 11, 2012 3:37 PM in response to stevegnz

Hi guys,

I tried updating to iCloud control panel v2.1 and it still didnt solve my issue. I did a bit of digging on my machine with a plist editor and found that the following file could be altered to remove saved passwords:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Preferences\keychain.plist

By default, the array element will have some sub-nodes (saved passwords) and we want to remove them. It should end up looking like the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
          <key>version1</key>
          <array/>
</dict>
</plist>

Dec 18, 2012 6:29 PM in response to Delta7

I had it working for a week after using iCloud. Then outlook stopped functining. Restarted outlook and it states that icloud plugin failed and I should disable it. Restart iCloud and it can no longer login. I edit the plist file and it still can not login in and does not prompt for a proxy login and password. I reboot and it still does not request a proxy login/password. my keychain list is empty. I try to manually login to my apple id and t keeps returning that there is a error on the apple server. I try from 3 different PC's and all get the same response. I change my appleid via my phone successfully. I try via a PC again and still get the error that there is a apple server error.

This really is driving me to consider my next phone is a droid.

Dec 18, 2012 10:22 PM in response to MonkeyMan1357

I just rename the file (for backup purpose) then restart itunes, managed to get Proxy login prompt again. Everything goes back to normal. Thinking simply delete the keychain file will solve this issue as well. However, I have not idea what else is stored in that file. Maybe someone who is familiar with that file can give a short briefing here.

Jan 10, 2013 10:01 AM in response to stevegnz

I have the same problem but:

- the Icloud trick didn't works

- the plist file didn't works (I also moved it and Itunes didn't recreate that... see below)

The only way to let Itunes 11 works is to force the exact Proxy server ip in the Internet Explorer option panel.

In this way it works.

But the problem is that normally this is set up as "auto" to let the laptop (in this case) be available to retrieve the eventual proxy adress wherever it may be (company, hotel, airport, ...)

And with "auto" Itunes is unable to connect.

Anyone with my problem found a solution?

Jan 10, 2013 2:14 PM in response to stevegnz

I had the same problem when I installed iTunes 11. It worked fine out of my work network but at work the proxy window never appeared. To resolve it I just deleted the keychain.plist file out of the folder and restarted iTunes. Proxy window now appears and internet radio wworks fine.

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Preferences\keychain.plist

Jan 10, 2013 2:35 PM in response to Mark Muellner

Thanks Mark,

unfortunately in my case the keychain.plist was already "clear" as the one described by stevegnz.

So I tried to move (delete) this file from the folder.

Nothing changed (no proxy window) but the strangest thing is that restarting Itunes 11 doesn't recreate the keychain.plist brand new file, neither after a reboot.

As said, writing the Proxy server IP in internet explorer instead of using the "auto" functionality makes the Itunes connecting.

any idea?

thanks everyone!

iTunes 11 doesn't seem to allow proxy authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.