Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I sort my music by composer in the new iTunes 11?

MacBook Air (13-inch Late 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), iTunes 11

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 6:41 AM

I have the same concern.

I have only classical music in my lib, and that is a MUST. Cannot upgrade until I get an answer to that.

Also the interface does not seem to be tuned (from whar I see in the what's new section) to a huge number of albums (I have some 5000).

any comment on that welcome 🙂

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2012 6:41 AM in response to mkalow

I have the same concern.

I have only classical music in my lib, and that is a MUST. Cannot upgrade until I get an answer to that.

Also the interface does not seem to be tuned (from whar I see in the what's new section) to a huge number of albums (I have some 5000).

any comment on that welcome 🙂

Nov 30, 2012 12:00 PM in response to magnusbl

@magnusbl

Yes, but now you have a list of every movement. It's like iTunes 11 treats every movement as a 'song' which it obviously is not in classical music. Also, the artwork is gone so you will not be able to differentiate between e.g. 15 different sets of Beethoven's symphonies.

Apple, you are losing customers over this. Remember that classical music lovers are often older people who buy your most expensive products.

All classical music lovers: do complain to Apple and if you don't, do it nevertheless.

- JG

Dec 3, 2012 7:26 AM in response to mkalow

A temporary fix I'm using is to hijack the "genre" category to organize by composer, since I didn't really use it anyway.

It's fairly easy to edit your library to allow for this:

1) enter the name of composer (eg- Bach) in the "search" field

2) click on the 'songs' view. This will now show all songs in your library with this name in the 'composer' field (or elsewhere, so be careful to check for these later. E.g.- one of Strauss' Alpensymphonie movements, "Neben dem Bach..", showed up under a 'Bach' search)

3) Type command+A to select all songs listed

4) type command+I to edit info on all songs selected

5) enter the name of the composer in the "genre" field

6) Repeat these steps for all the composers in your collection

I've found that this works pretty well for me. I include the year of birth before the name of the composer, which puts them in chronological order, and sets my classical music apart from all other genres in the genre view.

For the record, I'm still disappointed with Apple for not simply allowing use to customize the categories available for viewing, and I've commented on this on their feedback site (which doesn't even have the iTunes 11.0 version listed for feedback)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.