Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote 3.0 Causes AppleTV (2nd Gen) to Crash Endlessly

I have a 2nd Generation AppleTV. I used to use the Remote iOS app to remotely control what music was playing on the AppleTV. Since I upgraded to Remote 3.0 the AppleTV goes into what seems to be an endless reboot cycle when trying to use the Remote app. Literally as soon as the Remote app connects to the AppleTV the unit goes into endless reboot. ***?

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 7:52 AM

22 replies

Dec 4, 2012 7:24 PM in response to dss197

Delete the remote app on your phone.

plug your phone into your computer or if it shows up in itunes you don't have to do this step.

Don't sync your phone just yet.

Go in iTunes to the applications and find the Remote app (hopefully you haven't updated it on your computer).

Go to the properties of the application to see the version number.

If you still have the old version just drag and drop it onto your phone to reinstall it.

However this still doesn't solve the real problem which is that my Apple TV 2nd gen will still not boot. 😟

Dec 9, 2012 4:08 PM in response to fiorix

The problem lies within iTunes Match or the internal music library. Given that my AppleTV is jailbroken, I was able to watch the system log when the crash occurs. Here is the error that starts the crash:

Dec 9 18:57:21 Den-TV AppleTV[115]: *** Assertion failure in -[ML3AggregateQuery selectPersistentIDsSQLAndProperties:ordered:], /SourceCache/MusicLibrary/MusicLibrary-972.40/ML3/ML3AggregateQuery.m:64

Dec 9 18:57:21 Den-TV AppleTV[115]: *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Can not get aggregated properties for album_artist_pid of class ML3Album'

It's not exactly evident what the error is but it clearly has to do with the system querying the music database. On the AppleTV I signed out of iTunes Match (thus deleting the music library entirely) and at that point the remote app begins to work.

Unfortunately once I re-enabled iTunes Match the reboot cycle began occurring again. So not a definite solution but it is a start at least.

Remote 3.0 Causes AppleTV (2nd Gen) to Crash Endlessly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.