Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Compatibility - Canon IR2025 and IR1024iF

Dear All,

I've been having issues with OSX 10.8.2 especially when trying to add the Canon IR2025 and IR1024iF network printers.

Installing the Canon driver is not the issues, but trying to add the printers to the Mac running OSX 10.8.2 is the main problem,

So, I could never successfully add these printers with the computer, I've I add the printers to the list anyway, I wont be able to print.

I've downladed the last Canon driver from the official website. http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/0100429711.html

Prior upgrading my OSX, when my computer still running OSX 10.8.1 installing these 2 Canon network printer is not a problem, and they worked perfectly with all the functions.

Any advice how to mitigate through this issue?

Thanks in advance.

EM

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 12:53 AM

20 replies

Dec 1, 2012 9:01 PM in response to emas25

Can you open System Information, located in Applications > Utilities, and select the Printers entry in the left column. Then in the top right pane, select the IR2025 printer. The bottom right pane will show information about the printer. Can you copy all this information and paste back here for me to check.

And can you also do the same for the iR1024iF printer.

Dec 2, 2012 8:22 PM in response to PAHU

Hi PAHU,

Here it goes,

CANON IR1024iF

192.168.1.250:

Print Server: Local

Driver Version: 2.0

Default: No

Shared: No

URI: ipp://192.168.1.250/

PPD: Canon iR1020/1024/1025 UFRII LT (UK)

PPD File Version: 2.0

PostScript Version: (3010.000) 550

(3010.000) 651

CUPS Version: 1.6svn (cups-327)

Scanning support: No

Printer Commands: AutoConfigure Clean PrintSelfTestPage

CUPS filters:

cupstomcdufr2:

Path: /Library/Printers/Canon/UFR2/Cores/cupstomcdufr2/Contents/MacOS/cupstomcdu fr2

Permissions: rwxr-xr-x

Version: 2.41

commandfilefilter:

Path: /Library/Printers/Canon/UFR2/Cores/commandfilefilter

Fax support: No

Printer utility: /Library/Printers/Canon/UFR2/Utilities/Canon UFRII Printer Utility.app

Printer utility version: 2.41

PDEs:

FinishingPDE.plugin:

Sandbox compliant: Yes

CANON IR2025

192.168.1.251:

Default: Yes

URI: ipp://192.168.1.251/

PPD: Canon iR2022/2025/2030 UFRII LT (UK)

(3010.000) 651

CUPS filters:

cupstomcdufr2:

Path: /Library/Printers/Canon/UFR2/Cores/cupstomcdufr2/Contents/MacOS/cupstomcdu fr2

commandfilefilter:

Printer utility: /Library/Printers/Canon/UFR2/Utilities/Canon UFRII Printer Utility.app

PDEs:

FinishingPDE.plugin:

Any ideas how to resolve this issues?

Rgds,

EM

Dec 2, 2012 8:46 PM in response to emas25

Thanks for the information.

The issue for both machines is the print queue protocol (shown as URI in the information). You can see that your print queues are set to "ipp://IP_Address". For the UFR2 driver, the print queue should be;

"cntdbmu://MCD_UFR2_LPR/Model_Name/lpd://ip_address/"

So the first step is to remove the printers from Print & Scan.

The next is to open Activity Monitor and check that the UFR II Backgrounder process is running. If you do not see the process, then navigate to HD > Library > Printers > Canon > UFR2 > Utilities and double-click the UFR II Backgrounder icon. Nothing will appear on the screen when you do this but if you check Activity Monitor, you should now see the process.

If you do see the process, open Print & Scan and select to add the printer. But ensure that you use the LPD protocol, not IPP. With the queue added, open System Information and check that the print queue URI looks similar to what I show above. If it does, open a document and see if you can now print.

Dec 2, 2012 9:12 PM in response to PAHU

Hi PAHU,

Thanks for your promt reply, I did everything that you instructed up until to double-click the UFR II BackGrounder.... nothing appears not even in the Activity Monitor (tried to filter "ufr" aswell).

However, ignoring just that last step only, still doesn't allow me to print while its installed under LPD Protocol.

It added the printer succesfully to the Mac though...

this the latest message for Canon Ir1024iF

192.168.1.250:

Default: Yes

URI: lpd://192.168.1.250/

PPD: Canon iR1020/1024/1025 UFRII LT (UK)

(3010.000) 651

CUPS filters:

cupstomcdufr2:

commandfilefilter:

PDEs:

FinishingPDE.plugin:

Kindly advice?

Should I restart the computer?

Dec 2, 2012 10:25 PM in response to emas25

Without the UFR2 Backgrounder running, the print queue has not been created correctly. You can see that it shows lpd://ip_address rather than cntdbmu://etc. So you can remove this printer queue from the Mac because it is not going to print.

Re the restart, you could try it. But before you do, open Finder and navigate to HD > Library > LaunchAgents. Here you should see the file "jp.co.canon.UFR2.BG.plist". This file tells the UFR II Backgrounder to open after the user logs in to the Mac. So if this file is present, restart the Mac and then check Activity Monitor again to see if you have the UFR II Backgrounder process. If you do have the process then add the printer again using the LPD protocol.

Dec 2, 2012 10:51 PM in response to PAHU

Hi PAHU,

I've located the "jp.co.canon.UFR2.BG.plist" in the respected folder. (created Jul 11 2012 7am)

Tried to double-click UFR II BackGrounder, and re-checked it the Acitivity Monitor, it's still not visible at all.

So, at this point, re-installing these printers will not work yet...

kindly advice.

Dec 3, 2012 1:50 AM in response to PAHU

Hi PAHU,

You are right, there's something on my desktop that wont allow "UFR II BackGrounder" to work on the background.

I have checked with my other Mac Book Air (updated to 10.8.2), your setup guide works perfectly.

Is there away to fix this on the desktop to enable the "UFR II BackGrounder" to work under Application Monitor?

I dont have a program called "Little Snitch" in the Desktop.

Please advice.

Rgds,

EM

Dec 3, 2012 1:53 AM in response to emas25

It may seem that 10.8.2 is the cause, but I have several Mac's running this version and all are printing with the UFR2 driver.

At this stage I would remove the printers using UFR2 from Print & Scan and then trash the following folders and files.

HD > Library > Printers > Canon > UFR2

HD > Library > LaunchAgents > jp.co.canon.UFR2.BG.plist

HD > Library > Caches > Canon

Restart the Mac and then run the UFR2 v2.41 driver again. Now check Activity Monitor for UFR2 Backgrounder. If it is present, add the printers. If it is not present, then let me know.

Dec 3, 2012 9:50 PM in response to emas25

I wonder if there would be a log entry that we can view that would indicate why the UFR2 Backgrounder cannot open?

If you open Console, located in Applications > Utilities, and have the All Messages entry selected in the left sidebar (you may need to press the Show Log List button in the toolbar to see the sidebar) and then double-click the UFRII Backgrounder icon (HD > Library > Printers > Canon > UFR2 > Utilities), do you see a message about the Backgrounder?

Dec 4, 2012 7:45 PM in response to emas25

Thanks for providing that information. However it does not indicate why it is not starting.

If you select one of these UFR2 entries, where it shows and then press the Information button in the toolbar, this will make another window appear. Maybe this provides us with some more information?

If it does not provide any more information than what we already see, then something else you can try is booting into the Recovery partition and running Disk Utility to repair your 10.8 partition.

Software Compatibility - Canon IR2025 and IR1024iF

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.