Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I pair my MacBook Air to my bluetooth headset?

Everything I find is about pairing a bluetooth device to the MacBook Air, not my BT headset to the device ... the MacBook Air. So, how do I pair my BT headset to my Air?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), iPhone 4

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 3:39 PM

33 replies

Aug 4, 2017 8:01 PM in response to SWZRdesign

Not that you know me, but, I feel I need to apoligize. I been trying to connect my head phones with no success for a while now. I read you're comment and thought, "Ya, okay. That's too simple." (insert eye roll), but what the hey I've tried everything else. Needless to say it worked. So thank you! And I'm sorry for thinking you were an idiot. I'm the idiot. 😉

Oct 25, 2017 9:13 AM in response to Michael12000

I am adding my resolution to this problem as I had tried all that had been recommended and was still unable to connect my headset to either my imac or my Macbook pro. After reading all recommendations I tried one more thing. My headset auto connects to my iphone. I had to turn off bluetooth on my iphone, turn off my headset and then turn on my headset. Only then did it show up as discoverable in my Macbook pro. Apparently it only recognizes the bluetooth headset if it is not paired with anything else. Simple but it worked.

Dec 3, 2012 7:54 AM in response to LousyFool

Let's start over.

I can't pair my Marque 2 (Plantronics) BlueTooth headset to my MacBook Air (10.8.2). I've tried going to the pull-down bluetooth menu at the top near the wifi symbol. I open the browse device and the "set up bluetooth device" menus but it never finds my Marque 2 device. Isn't that how I am supposed to pair it or do I totally misunderstand? That is basically how I paired my Marque 2 to my iPhone 4 (6.0.1) except I went to the iPhone BT settings to "discover" the headset. So, what am I doing wrong?

Can someone offer step-by-step instructions please?

Dec 14, 2012 7:37 AM in response to TXflyboy2001

TXflyboy2001, last week I somehow paired my BT headset. Not sure what I did. I know that is not helpful but originally it was not "discoverable" so once I got it discoverable, it was no problem. Are you able to make it "discoverable"? I think for most BT devices, after it's initially turned on and paired to something, the subsequent times it's turned on it doesn't go into pair mode automatically. Instead, you have to force it into pair mode.

Dec 14, 2012 9:17 AM in response to Michael12000

Marque 2 manual, see page 5: I trust you're following this step by step, replacing the word "phone" with "Mac", and particularly following the section "Pair Another Phone (= Mac)" since yours was already paired with something?

The "discoverable" status of these headsets can usually not be changed and doesn't need to be, but your Mac's status can... eventually must be "discoverable" for the duration of the pairing.

I think for most BT devices, after it's initially turned on and paired to something, the subsequent times it's turned on it doesn't go into pair mode automatically. Instead, you have to force it into pair mode.

Only when you run the battery t-o-t-a-l-l-y dead. Otherwise your assumption is wrong.

The pairing of headsets with one other BT device lasts until you pair it with another. So, no new pairing required once paired successfully once.

Caution: If you pair it now with the Mac, and after about 2 hours with e.g. a phone, you will need to "re-pair" it with the Mac again if you want to use it with the Mac...

Dec 14, 2012 9:55 AM in response to LousyFool

LousyFool, I see there are options for "This solved my question" and "This helped me". I wish there were an option for "This was not helpful" and when selected, removed points from the contributor. You have not been helpful during the course of this whole thread. (If you weren't such a jerk, I would be more respectul.)

I stated already that I paired my BT headset to my computer and had previously paired it to my iPhone. Therefore, Marque 2 manual is unnecessary as was your "contribution".

Also, the Marque 2 manual that you reference and my own experience contridicts your conclusion that only one device can be paired AND that the device must be dead to pair it with another device. How else is my BT headset paired with BOTH my MacBook Air & my iPhone? That may be true with some devices (e.g., Sanetech wireless speaker), but not this device. In the case of my wireless speakers, it only allows pairing with EITHER my iPhone or my MacBookAir. Be careful about absolutes. My assumption is not wrong.

My issue is long since solved. Do you have anything of value to contribute to TXflyboy2001?

How do I pair my MacBook Air to my bluetooth headset?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.