Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11 has no text!

One of my computers is running Windows XP. I installed iTunes 11 the other day, and there's no text anywhere. See the images for what I'm talking about. I can't really do much of anything because of this bug. This is the computer I use for putting podcasts and such on my phone and iPad so I kinda need it to work. I still have the installer for iTunes 10.7 and at least that worked right.

I Googled and searched communities but I seem to be the only person on Earth with this particular problem. I found others talking about changing themes and having black text on a black background but as you can see that's not what I've got. At this point an error message would be comforting. It seems to work as far as I can tell, I'm just flying blind.

What I assume is the phone synch screen....

User uploaded file

Podcasts.... Music is about the same; album art but no text.

User uploaded file

iTunes 11-OTHER, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 8:02 PM

11 replies

Dec 1, 2012 9:17 PM in response to b noir

It is Windows XP so I followed the instructions in the post you referenced.... and the dialogue says "______ font is already installed. To install a new version, first remove the old version" so there is no Replace Dialogue.

I'm going to copy them all to another folder and then remove/install all fonts. If this FUBARs my computer, I'll be back to tell you all about it. LOL.

Dec 1, 2012 9:58 PM in response to b noir

Alrighty. I uninstalled all fonts except for the ones Windows wouldn't let me, presumably because the OS uses them while running.

(Arial Black, Franklin Gothic, Goodfellow, Microsoft Sans Serif, Modern, Script, Tahoma, Tahoma Bold)

Then I reinstalled the removed fonts from my copy folder. Then I rebooted. This didn't do a lick of good. Probably because that's not the problem OR because the problem lies with one of the fonts listed that I couldn't remove. (If it is a registry problem of a basic system font, wouldn't I notice missing text in other apps and software or even in the OS itself??)

It would make sense for Apple to use a system font that every Windows user has. So if one of these fonts is the one that iTunes is shagging, I don't know what to do about it.

Oh, wait, yes I do. Install iTunes 10.7 and get on with life. I sure am happy I keep previous versions of install wizards. This is exactly why. LOL

I'm willing to try again if anyone has other options. But next week I'm going to want a backup of my phone so I can restore to my new one.

Mike

Dec 1, 2012 11:49 PM in response to mgr1969

SUCCESS!!!! B Noir, you were on the right track. But it was Eric Winchester who solved it in the discussion about font substitution. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2647111?start=30&tstart=0

However, all I had to do was download and install the Segoe UI (TrueType) __segoeui.ttf font.

Before I wanted to edit the registry, I looked in Fonts to see if they were there and Segoe UI wasn't.

Problem solved and I can see what iTunes is doing.

Tomorrow I'll decide if I like it or not. LOL

Dec 3, 2012 2:48 AM in response to b noir

Hi b noir and mgr1969,

I was the other guy on earth being faced with this "missing text" challenge.

I use Windows XP and I thought that my system is perhaps not ready for iTunes 11.

But I followed Vortical's technique and I succeeded. 🙂

Thanks b noir for this fantastic support and the worthwhile hint!

With best regards from North Germany,

Olaf

iTunes 11 has no text!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.