Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple Windows in iTunes 11?

How can I open multiple iTunes windows using iTunes 11? Before updating, I was able to have multiple playlist windows open. So far, iT11 looks nice, but functions poorly.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:49 PM

In short, you cannot. This is yet another useful legacy function / feature that has been axed in V11. Why they would do this I have no idea. Multiple windows is very useful, but for some reason they decided to dumb down V11 to the point of uselessness.

Are we, as a species, really getting that stupid we cannot figure this stuff out for ourselves?

62 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2012 6:49 PM in response to jrdoh

In short, you cannot. This is yet another useful legacy function / feature that has been axed in V11. Why they would do this I have no idea. Multiple windows is very useful, but for some reason they decided to dumb down V11 to the point of uselessness.

Are we, as a species, really getting that stupid we cannot figure this stuff out for ourselves?

Dec 4, 2012 8:16 AM in response to jrdoh

Multiple windows in iTunes seems to have gone away. This makes managing playlists tough. One other feature I used to use was the ability to drag iTunes store music selections directly into a playlist to create kind of a wish-list. At a later time, I'd go through and buy what I wanted. That can't be done anymore because I can't open a window with just the iTunes store in it. iTunes has become (much) less useful and flexible with this single window approach.

Let's bring back the ability open playlists and the iTunes store in separate windows!

😠

Dec 25, 2012 10:20 AM in response to jrdoh

I have a solutions, not perfect but works. There's plenty of iTunes alternitives that will read your iTunes library. http://mac.appstorm.net/roundups/music-roundups/9-itunes-alternatives-you-should -know-about/

Open iTunes on one side and then one of the above apps on the other. You can play and lookt hrough your library from a third party app, leaving iTunes to mange the strangle hold they have on your iPod/iPad/iPhone.

Like I said, not the best but it works. I think the developers at Apple forgot that a 27" iMac can open more than one window.

iPad hater #4567

Jan 8, 2013 8:33 AM in response to jrdoh

Really? Why, Why, Why did I ever upgrade to 11?

Well of course it was to benefit from the forward thinkers at Apple to give me more. When in fact they have removed the one function that makes managing playlists managable!

Please bring this back! You have no idea how hard it is now to keep track of what is on the computer playlist vs. the device now!

I am an Apple devotee, but this move is really annoying and frankly sophomoric. Now going to remove Itunes 11 and install the prior version as recommended by nuno1959. And to think I was going to start using ITunes Match. Not now!

Figure it out Apple!

Cheers

Apr 6, 2013 9:39 AM in response to miltonian1

And yes, I have sent in a feedback form. I spend a large amunt of my extra income on apple whether it be devices, software, apps or music and this is making me think about any more music purchaes. I now have THREE purchase files in itunes which all have different music purchased from different devices.

It used to be so simple and now it is a nightmare.

HAs anyone heard any response from Apple as to a fix in the works?

Apr 13, 2013 9:18 AM in response to jrdoh

Just wanted to add my voice to the many who have missed multiple windows in iTunes 11. An amazingly poor decision to drop a critical interface feature for people who maintain large collections of music in iTunes. This seems to be part of a general dumbing-down of Apple interfaces lately. I hope Ive reverses some of the idicocy now that he does both hardware and software.

Apr 20, 2013 12:55 AM in response to jrdoh

I think, we should start some initative here in EU to remove some of the power apple has by controlling itunes.

There must be valid alternatives to itunes, so that apple can cripple their software until it becomes utter garbarge and is not useful anymore.

Apple has to open their interfaces and make a working replacement for itunes possible.

Microsoft has learned this the hard way - now it is time for apple to learn.

Apr 23, 2013 9:38 AM in response to jrdoh

Dear Apple,

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for creating such incredibly intuitive and simple ways to work and play. iTunes has been the most useful tool ever for managing a collection of music, OSX is the best and most powerful system I could imagine and I would be lost without them.

That being said, it seems that every update since October 5, 2011 has managed to decrease the incredibly intuitive ways we use these tools. Features that are heavily relied upon for effiencency and workflow are consistantly taken away or hidden with every update. While new features are appreciated and embraced there is no reason to remove features from your system and programs.

The consistant updating to make the system and programs less intuitive has me greatly concerned for the ongoing future of Apple which, due to your incredible accomplishments and forward thinking, I rely heavily upon for my occupation, as well as for Apple stock which I have quite a bit of my savings invested in based on my past confidence in your ability to continue to create more and more intuitive products. At the moment there are no great alternatives to Apple products but you are steadily creating a market for them to be created and take over.

Apr 26, 2013 10:26 AM in response to jonathan parks1

When writing to Apple, cut the nicey-nice crap and just get to the point. There's no need for run-on sentences explaining how you own stock and blah blah blah. Just tell them what you want.

I'm still on iTunes 10.7 until this issue gets fixed. I will NOT upgrade unless the features taken away, especially multiple windows, are put back...and if that never happens and one day my version 10.7 is rendered useless, I'll just simply jump ship. Remember folks, Apple needs you more than you need them. Lots of great alternatives out there these days and unless customers (even the die-hard hipster fans) grow a set and push back, nothing will ever change with these ******. Welcome to the New Micro$oft of the 21st century.

Apple, DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!

Multiple Windows in iTunes 11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.