Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where does iTunes 11 put rentals?

After downloading a rental, I can not find where iTunes 11 puts the Movie Rentals. I know that it is in my "Movie" folder and I can play it from there, but where is it on iTunes 11, so I do not have to open up the "Movie" folder to play it?

Mac mini (Late 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 2:13 PM

29 replies

Dec 8, 2012 9:21 PM in response to retrogeek

I had the same issue. I even called Apple. I could see in the status bar that the fie was downloading, but I could not access it. I called the support line, saying I could not play the movie yet, and their response was, wait for it, that you could never view rentals until the entire fie, download in the first place. So, they lied, basically. I stead of telling me where the file was being downloaded, they ignore the larger issue and just say "oh, you could never view a rental movie before the file was downloaded."

I do hope more people complain and force Apple to deal with this situation.

Dec 9, 2012 7:16 AM in response to Montebello, Lisa

iTunes is putting it in your "Music" file like normal and you can open up the "Music" file and find your rental there, but like you I can not find it in the iTunes interface itself. I see it downloading, I found what retrogeek says, but there is no drop down called "Rental," unlike the previous version which automatically opened a "Rental" file in the sidebar. Apple seems to always blame the user instead of just saying they know about the issue and are going to fix it. I don't know what they are talking about when they misinformed you about watching it as it downloads, I watch my movies after I get about 100 MB downloaded also.

Dec 9, 2012 10:37 PM in response to sbrindolona

Hello! I had the same issue last night: the movie was 100% downloaded but impossible to find trough itunes. The movie file was in itunes>music>movie folder, but i was not able to open it with QuickTime nor Vlc nor itunes it self... I have wrote a customer complain but i am still for Apple reply. After a lot of difficulties to import new music, this is the second itunes 11 major bug...

Dec 15, 2012 8:49 AM in response to saneman

I have a follow up. I found the answer on another thread. When you rent a movie, you can't have the sidebar view on. Turn that off, and click the "movie" tab. On the top of the screen, the menu options at the top "unmatched/movies/genres/home movies/list" adds another option -- "rented" when you purchase a rental. I just rented something for .99 to test it, and indeed it works, And, I even got the "your movie is available to viewed, do you want to see it now" message.

Oh, edit: you can have the sidebar on. It is just that I never noticed the "rented" option. You have to click on "rented" to see the movie icon in your library. Odd that I did not see that before.

Dec 15, 2012 11:03 AM in response to Montebello, Lisa

Hello all,

I finally gave up even with the itunes support help.

i've tried again yesterday, when update 11.0.1 was installed : it is now working!!

The rented movie is not directly located in right side bar (like it was in itunes 10) but in a "rent tab" inside the "film" library.

i still need to check if importing new music is also working good.

Where does iTunes 11 put rentals?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.