Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad video brightness flare

I have recently purchased the new iPad (retina display, lightning port) when watching video with the auto brightness on or off I notice the screen brightness fades up and down quite regularly almost like a pulse if u will.

The best way to notice it is if your watching a video in widescreen with the ipad horizontal cover up the actually letterbox video so you are just looking at the black bar at the top, the colour of the black tends to gradually get lighter and then goes dark again I also notice this in the video itself but its easier to identify it by using the above method.

It can be really quite annoying I was just wondering if anybody else experiences this? Or is my ipad is dodgy? Another user posted about this problem back in march according to the post he actually swapped his iPad & the new iPad did the same thing, the discussion them ended seemingly unresolved.

It may depend on the length of time you are watching video before it happens I've also noticed it tends the happen more frequently when watch a video cutting between light and dark scenes.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the previous thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3822777

iPad, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 11:46 AM

25 replies

Jan 20, 2013 8:00 PM in response to Baz88

The washed out colors does not occur on the red playback buttons of Netflix nor does it occur when I do the four finger minimization. I have also noticed the fading when watching full-screen videos in the native iPad video app. I don't think it is actually affecting the color of the video itself. Have you noticed the washed out colors on the actual video or just the playback controls on home screen when minimizing?

Dec 13, 2017 9:36 PM in response to Iddopop

This has been driving me crazy since I got my iPad Pro 9.7”. I filed a bug report with Apple, but they closed it stating it was functioning as intended. It’s most noticeable to me with light skin tones and clothing, which will gradually appear as if they were overexposed during filming. Tapping the screen to bring up the video interface overlay reverts the video to the correct exposure, but after the interface fades away, the localized overexposure happens again.

Since the iOS 11 update I’ve actually had trouble triggering the behavior with the new video player design. Apps like Netflix that use a custom player still suffer the issue, but apps like Trailers don’t seem to, but I haven’t tested extensively.

Another benefit of iOS 11 is that they added a control (or at least I never noticed it before) to turn the “Idle Opacity” of the assistive touch button down as low as 15%. It still does the trick in getting rid of the localized overexposure, but is FAR less intrusive visually when watching content. I can now tuck it in a corner and forget about it.

Jan 17, 2013 11:56 AM in response to Baz88

I bought a fourth generation iPad in November. I started noticing this problem a couple weeks after receiving it. It seems to occur when watching videos from iTunes on the native video app, on the Amazon Instant Video app and on HBO Go. I have not noticed much of a problem when using Netflix, which is very odd. I also notice that the color of the playback controls start to fade in color when you tap the screen during playback. The blue become a very light blue, like it is washed out. And if you do a pinch to close the player during playback then the home screen has that same washed out look for a couple seconds. This is VERY ANNOYING. I have purchased the iPad 2, the iPad 3 and now the iPad 4 and all have had some sort of issue. I had the 2nd and 3rd generations replaced and now I'm considering trying to get this one replaced as well.

Jan 18, 2013 9:25 AM in response to MaysSense

Yes i have also noticed the faded colours i watch video on lovefilm and it occurs regularly, i think its something to do with the black bars as when i watch the video in full screen it doesn't seem to happen, when you've had them replaced does this solve the issue? I.e. is this just a problem with some iPads or is it every iPad? Im thinking of returning mine but don't see much point if it happens with every iPad.

Jan 19, 2013 10:09 AM in response to Baz88

The 4th gen iPad is the only one that has had this particular problem, I had seperate issues with the other iPads. I have yet to get a replacement for the 4th gen, for the most part video looks great and it doesn't seem to happen on Netflix which leads me to believe that it could be a software problem. Either way it is annoying and I wish Apple would address it. Do you notice on all video playback, with all video players?

Jan 20, 2013 5:40 PM in response to MaysSense

I have noticed it in everything apple videos, lovefilm streams, a 3rd party youtube app. But they all have the default blue buttons like in the apple video player. Thats the extent of my video sources all seem to have the problem I'd believe to be a hardware issue personally. I think Netflix uses some sort of own brand player (doesn't have blue button) i will try some experimentations to try other players. If your watching Netflix for a considerable amount of time and using 4 finger minimising are your icons washed out on the home screen? I ask because i was wondering if it does occur on netflix and you don't notice it because the colours are white on black (no blue to wash out)

My moms got an iPad 4 as well i may try watching some video on that tomorrow to see if the problem occurs on that one as well .

I consider to be something like burn-in that you get with plasma tv's i think the black bars are causing the problem i don't have this issue in full screen mode, it seems to be happening more frequently also now :S if its just a bug that causes occasionally washed out colours for a few seconds i'm not overly bothered however if it causes damage in the long term i am very concerned ! I guess time will tell however if it occurred on all iPad 4s you would think there would be more topics on the discussions

Mar 20, 2014 3:06 AM in response to Baz88

I have the same problem on my air and the new mini. I don't know how they didn't see this in production of these products it's like a feature they added to automatically turn the brightness up between dark scenes but a lot of scenes are darker and it constantly does it to where your screens brightness just won't stop flickering up and down. If u watch a really bright scene there is no problems but the problem is a lot of shows and movies have scenes that are darker and the screens brightness just ends up flickering extremely bad. This normally seems to happen just on my stock video app with all my hd movies and shows I purchase through iTunes. Oh and it's not the auto brightness button, it doesn't matter if that's on or off. It seems like it's just with the retina screens on iPads because my older iPads never had this problem, plus I have a iPhone 5 linked up to the same account and can watch the same movies without issue on the 5s retina screen. I have been to the apple store of course they have never heard of this problem and it's hard for them to notice with all the bright lights in the store so one of the girls who worked there actually crawled under the desk so she could see the brightness flicker and she agreed that it was terrible, they even gave me a knew ipad and it's the same thing. Apple this is terrible please fix it. I wish I knew who to contact about this.

Apr 28, 2014 1:15 PM in response to Baz88

I've had the same issue. When watching video on the retina iPad mini, whether in Safari or in the native Videos app or in a third party app, the screen brightness fluctuates depending on the brightness of scene it he video...it's most observable when you look at the black space / black bars above and below the video....when the video scene is a bright scene, the black bars suddenly become brighter...if it's a very dark scene, the black bars fade to a very dark black. The brightness fluctuation can be extremely annoying when scenes change in tv shows and movies, especially rapid changes in scenes.

Also, if the scene is bright and I exit the video app, as soon as it returns to the homescreen, all of the colors are completely washed out and the true color / brightness gradually returns.

I hope more people report this, as I've certainly seen enough people mentioning this issue on discussion boards all over the internet. I know I have reported it. I've also returned the retina iPad mini five or six times because of this issue as well as a different glitch regarding screen getting stuck in a particular orientation, and also getting stuck in the closing animation when an app minimizes. So far, all of these issues persist with each new retina iPad mini.

VERY disappointed.

I did work for Apple as a tech support advisor. These are issues that I never personally experienced prior to iPad 4. If I had never purchased so much content through iTunes / the App Store, I would at this point simply wash my hands with Apple mobile products and never buy another one. Unfortunately, I'm kind of locked in at this moment because of all of the Apple exclusive content I have purchased over the years.

Oct 17, 2014 12:22 AM in response to DestroyerX

Can confirm, turning assistive touch on stops the screen from fluctuating brightness. Nothing else has helped but that and while annoying to have on,turning the shortcut key helps turn assistive touch easily so when watching videos I simply use the shortcut and turn it on then when the video ends do the same shortcut to turn it off. This way I don't have to go into settings to swap it in and off. Wish Apple would fix this though as its been an issue for two years now.

Ipad video brightness flare

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.