Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which file system is compatible between OS X and Windows for my external drive?

Hi,

I'm getting a 2TB external drive. Which file system is recommended for an external drive that one wants to use on both Mindows and OS X 10.8?

I would much appreciate if you would state your reasons on your recommendation as well.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), HDD: 7200 rpm HDD, Disp: 1680x1050

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 6:21 PM

21 replies

Dec 7, 2012 6:35 PM in response to TheFacelessNinja

Nope, HFS+ is not recognised by Windows.

You can use NTFS drives if you have Parallels installed on your mac and you connect the USB drive to the Windows VM in Parallels. The Parallels drivers allow files to be read from & written to the NTFS drive. This would allow files over 4GB.

If you connect an NTFS drive to the Mac you'll get read only.

If you need the drive to be interchangeable between OS X and Windows the you'd be best to use FAT32.

Dec 7, 2012 9:29 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Thanks,

1) How does it matter where I format it from? Just curious, as I've read tutorials that they did it in OS X.

2) Since exFAT is Microsoft propriety tech, it's implementation, and especially performance, in OS X can be questionable. Does anyone have a long-term experience with using exFAT on a large external HDD over a long period of time?

Which file system is compatible between OS X and Windows for my external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.