Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.0.7 -- still cannot eject external disk!!!

This is becoming increasingly more and more frustrating, as we watch new versions come and go, with none of them solving this problem.

I use various external drives (HD, flash, cameras, SDHC cards) in the course of my work. Some are my stock libraries with various types of media (SD, HD, QT, AVCHD, MXP, etc). Others are fresh ones, coming from Canon 5DmkII, Sony XDCAM, Panasonic HMC, etc. Flash USB drives are often used to move sync audio, music, etc (AIFF, WAV, etc). During my work, I often need to mount and eject all these various devices. But with FCP, once a disk volume is mounted, it CANNOT be ejected without quitting FCP!!! This continues to be by far the most frustrating feature bug in FCP that persists from update to update.

What could possibly be the explanation for this completely bizzare and irrational behaviour of FCP (holding onto a drive, even though no disk operations are being done)? Is it unrealistic to expect that this ever be solved? Should we write directly to Randy Ubillos about it?

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 8:48 PM

20 replies

Dec 9, 2012 3:27 PM in response to Vasic

It sounds to me like FCPX is using the files on the drive you have mounted. If so, it only makes sense that you can't eject without quitting the app. As for camera cards, are you copying your media into the event or using proxies? Or maybe even editing directly off the card? If your media is copied to the event, you should be able to eject. If your proxies are referencing the material from the cards - or the mounted drive or anywhere other than from the event itself - then it also makes sense that you can't eject. Same thing happens in other programs like Photoshop. If the program is using a file, then the source can't be ejected without disengaging from the program first.

I copy all my video files from the cards to folders on various drives, edit from those copied files, quit FCPX when I'm done and eject the drives with no problems. On the rare occassions that I have to add files from an outside source, I copy those files from the card or usb drive or wherever to my working folder so I have everything all nice and neat. When the copying is done, I eject the source. Never had any kind of problem working this way.

Dec 9, 2012 4:15 PM in response to Vasic

Thank you to all responders so far.

So, here is some more detail about this problem.

When I mount a SDHC card that contains original video, for example, AVCHD (file structure and all), FCP won't let me eject it using Finder (i.e. dragging the card icon to trash). In FCP's Media Import window, the card shows up under "Cameras", as well as under "Devices". Now obviously, FCP is recognising this as a "Camera" because the AVCHD file/folder structure is intact. Next to the card's icon under "Cameras", there is an eject button. Pressing this, however, doesn't do much; beachball begins spinning and nothing happens for some time. Eventually, the card disappears from within FCP, but not from the desktop. When I switch back to the Finder and try to eject from there, I get the usual mesage (an application is using the card). However, if I "Force-Eject", the card is ejected (disappears from desktop).

When I mount ordinary media (an USB flash drive, or external USB disk, containing some Quicktime files in MOV container, or some audio in AIFF, etc), in the Media Import window, this only shows up under "Devices" (and not under "Cameras", for obvious reasons). I cannot eject this from within FCP, but if no media gets imported from this drive (in other words, if FCP never touched it), I can eject the media from the desktop (Finder). However, if I import some media from that USB drive (an AIFF file, or a MOV file, for example), I can no longer eject it from the Finder, even though FCP completed the import, copied the media into the relevant Event, finished any residual rendering and is doing nothing with any files, internal or otherwise. In that situation, I have to Force-Eject the drive in order to remove it.

The most serious and most frustrating experience is when an external drive has a folder called Final Cut Events, or Final Cut Projects at the top-level of the disk. There is absolutely NO WAY to eject this drive without closing FCP, even if you don't touch anything on it!!! This is colossaly annoying because I have several large external drives, where I hold tons of stock footage in various FCP events, depending on the category. As soon as such drive appears in FCP, there is no way to eject it unless you completely shut down your FCP session.

In neither case is ANY of the files on the media in question open or used by FCP (not in an active Project, and not open in an Event).

To summarise:

• Media with original file structure from the camera (AVCHD, XDCAM, etc) can be ejected, but not easily (requires Force-Eject);
  • Media with no original file structure can be easily ejected if no files were imported; otherwise only by Force-Eject;
  • Media with "Final Cut Events" or "Final Cut Projects" folder(s) at top level CANNOT be ejected at all, unless FCP is completely shut down.

As I said earlier, I would very much like to hear someone explain why this behaviour persists from day one (two years ago).

Dec 10, 2012 2:25 AM in response to Vasic

In an attempt to fix this I deleted FCX from my iMac and downloaded and reinstalled a new copy of 10.0.7.

It has not fixed the problem, FCX still holds on to my SD card. I am not editing from the card, I am copying the contents of the card to the events folder. I wait untill the copying is complete until I try and eject. It will not eject from the Finder, from the desttop icon or from the FCX import window as I get the message that FCX is using the card.

I have tried using an external card reader connected to one of the USB ports instead of the card reader on the iMac, same problem.

This must be something connected with FCX as Lightroom ejects my cards ok.

Apr 1, 2013 6:12 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Yes I am trying to eject the SD card inside the FCP Import Media window. When I hit the eject button the list of files on the card goes blank as if it is trying to do something but the card still appears on the Cameras list in the Import Media window. If I go to the Desktop and try and eject the card there I get the message that the disk cannot be ejected because FCP is using it. When I shut down FCP I can then eject it via the desktop.

I dont have this problem with Lightroom as Lightroom successfully auto ejects cards without any issues.

Apr 1, 2013 7:02 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I am importing .MOV files from a GH3. I can successfully import all types of files without any issues. Its just ejecting the card thats the problem.

Here are a couple of screen grabs showing the import window and the import preferenced window when I hit the Import all Button. I wait until and the optomised media has been created before trying to eject the card but only way I have found to eject is to close FCP and eject via the desktop.

When FCP X first came out I had this problem but it was fixed about version 10.0.3, for me it reappeared when I installed V 10.0.6.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

10.0.7 -- still cannot eject external disk!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.