Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching to a generic printer driver -- help?

I am trying to use the advice from another thread (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4549443) to get my new Mac (Mountain Lion, OS x 10.8.2) to recognize my printer. The printer is an older one no longer supported by its manufacturer (Xerox PE220, exactly the same as in the other thread). The other thread says that the generic driver is located here:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/P rintCore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Generic.ppd

. . . I can't find it because I don't know how. Terminal tells me "Permission denied" when I enter this line in it. I tried searching for "Generic.ppd" in Spotlight and that didn't work, either. Using System Information, I could get as far as /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework, but no "Versions" or anything farther down show up.

I'm not a power user, so I'm stumped.

Please help me get from knowing where the driver is to actually being able to use it!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 6:17 PM

10 replies

Dec 10, 2012 8:11 PM in response to jumpyjump

If you want to use the Generic PCL or Generic Postscript driver that is included with OS X, then you don't have to browse to that path (which doesn't seem correct in any case). Simply open Print & Scan, select to add and choose the protocol you want to use. Once you have entered in the necessary connection details, click on the Use menu and select either the Generic Postscript or Generic PCL printer.

Dec 11, 2012 10:29 AM in response to John Blanchard1

Thanks to all of you for your replies.

Linc Davis, no other printers than the Xerox PE220 show up. Apparently adding this printer in the past caused all other printers to disappear, even the generic default ones. Even after I deleted that printer, there are still no other printers/drivers showing up through the usual route (Print/Scan) -- I believe this is what John Blanchard1 is also syaing ("the PS and PCL ppds were not showing up in the Use menu").

PAHU, I did use the correct path (without the space) in Terminal, but I'm not sure what to do because it doesn't give me permission to access that path.

John Blanchard1, yes, this is exactly the situation. I did use the correct path without the space in PrintCore. Still no luck -- any ideas?

Thanks again, I hope we can fix this.

Sara

Dec 11, 2012 10:40 AM in response to jumpyjump

Sara,

If you paste the following in Terminal and hit "return," does this window open?

open /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ PrintCore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/

If so, when you select "Other" from the Use menu and the panel that lets you select the ppd appears, go back to Finder, and drag the Generic.ppd file to that panel. You should be able to select it then.

I hope this helps.

Dec 11, 2012 11:35 AM in response to jumpyjump

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Select "/var/log/cups/error_log" from the file list in the Console window. Post the messages timestamped while you were trying to add the printers.

Post the log text, please, not a screenshot.

Switching to a generic printer driver -- help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.