Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is logic pro so hard??

ive been a fruity loops user for about 4 years now but decided to jump on the apple bandwagon and get a macbook.

so now im stuck with having to use logic because fruities doesnt work on mac, which is kind of okay because ive been looking to try out a more professional software anyway but logic is soo hard!!! all i want to do is put a kick sample into piano roll, make a pattern, then loop that pattern. and do the same with other samples. its like apple have purposefully made music making hard. i know if it was easy everyone would do it. but im sick of spending hours on logic and logic tutorials for no results at all.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 10:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 3:17 AM

Hi Mikey.

So I understand well your frustration.

Normal reaction, switch to an unknown software could be very dificult.

Logic (when you know it) is absolutly perfect to do all stuff

But Fruity Loops is an awsome Daw as well, i love it too.

For good starting, can advise you on the drums programming .

Learn about the EXS24 sampler, a very powerful plugin.

Open the EXS24, and on the high right corner you have a little tab "EDIT"

Then an Edit page will open.

Drag and Drop your samples. and it's done!

+++

Anthony

52 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2012 3:17 AM in response to mikey-p_s0n

Hi Mikey.

So I understand well your frustration.

Normal reaction, switch to an unknown software could be very dificult.

Logic (when you know it) is absolutly perfect to do all stuff

But Fruity Loops is an awsome Daw as well, i love it too.

For good starting, can advise you on the drums programming .

Learn about the EXS24 sampler, a very powerful plugin.

Open the EXS24, and on the high right corner you have a little tab "EDIT"

Then an Edit page will open.

Drag and Drop your samples. and it's done!

+++

Anthony

Dec 12, 2012 7:06 AM in response to mikey-p_s0n

mikey-p_s0n wrote:

ive been a fruity loops user for about 4 years now but decided to jump on the apple bandwagon and get a macbook.

so now im stuck with having to use logic because fruities doesnt work on mac, which is kind of okay because ive been looking to try out a more professional software anyway but logic is soo hard!!! all i want to do is put a kick sample into piano roll, make a pattern, then loop that pattern. and do the same with other samples. its like apple have purposefully made music making hard. i know if it was easy everyone would do it. but im sick of spending hours on logic and logic tutorials for no results at all.

Apple purchased Logic, they didn't come up with the original design.

All I can say is..... what do you expect from professional software? It's not made to coddle you, it's made to produce complex pieces of music all the way from Electronica to Full Orchestral Arrangements and it requires user input to get the job done, Logic doesn't produce music for you, it is a tool that you use to produce music.

I suggest you take a 180 degree turn and instead look at it as an opportunity to educate yourself. If all you're looking for is instant gratification I would recommend software that's designed for a specific purpose, that's what Fruity Loops is, it's designed for a specific kind of music making and doesn't have all of the options that Logic has. FL is very good at what it does, some people here might put it down but I've seen users that know what they're doing produce some amazing tracks.

Anthony made a good suggestion, the EXS24 sampler Instrument is a good place to start.

Use an Instrument track, add the EXS24 to the Instrument slot and load a drumkit. Add a 2, 4, or 8 MIDI bass drum beat in the piano roll editor, close the piano roll, go to the Inspector on the left han side of the Arrange window and turn on looping for that track. Don't worry about sounds for now, just get used to using Logic's tools.

In short... this will take some time!

Dec 12, 2012 2:28 PM in response to mikey-p_s0n

Wow, people get so sensitive these days.

My point was that Logic is a Pro app and you have to expect that it is "deep". Nothing personal, really.

I wanted to be brief in my first response, but because you seemed to misinterpreted that comment, let me respond to your statements in more details:

"im stuck with having to use logic because fruities doesnt work on mac"

Why are you stuck? If you bought a new Mac then you have Garageband for free on your system. And as kcstudio suggested, this might be the better tool for what you want to do.

"apple have purposefully made music making hard"

You are not serious with that statement, are you? Panceter told you already where Logic is originated and I would argue that Logic became easier since Apple bought it.

"but im sick of spending hours on logic and logic tutorials for no results at all"

No results at all, really? Maybe this is a hint that this is the wrong app for you. I would argue that lots of Logic users have spent hours it with and got great results.

"Ill definitely have to persist and keep going with logic"

No, you don't have to. You tried already for hours (with no results at all), then why you want to continue. Above all, music making should also be fun and it seems that you aren't getting any out of using Logic.

Finally

Even though you excluded me from your cheers, I don't have any hard feeling and instead, in the holiday spirit, I want to offer you a little Christmas gift. Click on my name in the header, there you find the link to my website with my contact email address. Send me a note and I'll email you a free copy of my book "GarageBand 11 - How it Works", the pdf version or the ibooks version for the iPad. Then you can decided if this app is a better, less frustrating match for you.

Cheers to everyone, including mikey-p_s0n

Dec 13, 2012 7:59 AM in response to mikey-p_s0n

Hi Mikey,

I hear you! Logic can be very difficult, especially in the beginning. But it is well worth the effort, believe me! Did you consider some online training?... macProVideo tutorials are amazing and very well produced:

http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorials/logic-application

There's a lot of stuff there and you can either purchase the tutorials or subscribe to their tutorial library. It covers pretty much everything you need to know...

Could be helpful to you!

Good luck!

Dec 14, 2012 2:01 AM in response to mikey-p_s0n

mikey-p_s0n wrote:

Welcome to the club!

mikey-p_s0n wrote:

What you describe here is the typical thing happening to people trying to apply a workflow to a software, which has a different workflow.

To help you in your case:

Create a new, empty song. Add a new track with a software instrument. Put an EXS24 on it, load it with a drum kit. As a shortcut, you can select a drum kit using the Library on the right side of teh arrange window for this.

Now, you see a track in the arrange with no regions on it. Ctrl-Click on the track (not the track header) to get a contextual menu. This offers to create an empty MIDI Region. Do that and couble click on it to open the piano roll. Switch the pencil tool (press ESC to get a tool selection menu) and draw your notes. In the arrange, cycle the region (press the cycle button in the transport section and adjust the cycle area, the green bar in teh time ruler), press play and enjoy the show.

Hope this helps!

DaCaptain.

Dec 16, 2012 3:20 AM in response to mikey-p_s0n

Logic Pro is deep and vast....i ll tell u what i did to get better at using Logic....it may work for u too....no guarantees tho....to understand the basics i watchd Lynda's tuts....read Logic Pro 9 Power (rather still reading) to familiarize myself with every single tool,feature,luxury,etc that Logic has to offer us....watched vids on utube to understand common production techniques....icing on the cake is reading the manuals that apple provides for all the fx, synths, samplers, instruments,etc used in Logic.....by the time i did all this i was head over heels in love with Logic.... it may sound boring to do all this....but i bet its not boring to actually get down to it n doin it !!!

i hope i didnt break any rules by mentioning non apple products!!!

Cheers!!!!

Dec 16, 2012 3:58 AM in response to mikey-p_s0n

why is logic so hard

Given that Logic is extremely feature rich, I guess the opposit could be said: they have managed to implement a lot of features into Logic *without* making it the user interface cluttered or complex.

But there are a few things you need to know in order to use Logic (in addition to realizing that it doesn't work the way eg FL works):

You can change tools easily by pressing Escape. (You can use the Pencil Tool in order to enter your kick frum notes.)

The Plus button at the top pf the track list lets you create new audio, MIDI or Software Instr. tracks.

If you want eg. a drum preset on your software instrument track, click (at the top of the channel strip) on Settings, and select something from the Submenu called Drums and Percussion.

If you are looking for a key command, go to Preferences>Key Commands, which is the first option in the leftmost menu. This window has a search feature.

If you look for a menu option, type a word into the Search area in the Help menu. If you type eg. the word tempo, and hold the mouse over the resulting options, an arrow on the screen will help you find that menu option.

Click everywhere to see what happnens. You'll learn a lot by just doing that.

And - maybe more importantly - click anywhere while holding down the Control key. This will reveal loads of useful functions relevant to the area you click on, which could be the bar ruler, arrange background, the stop button, a region, a single MIDI event, a track name, the Global Tracks area and *lots* more.

why is logic pro so hard??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.