Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't send hotmail emails from my mac but I can receive them

Help

iMac

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 10:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 2:48 PM

What application are you using to send and receive emails? It would appear that you have an issue with your outgoing mail server.

81 replies

Dec 15, 2012 3:37 AM in response to stu46

Are you trying to receive emails while using the "Safari" app or the "Mail" app? Which are you opening to check your emails? If it is the Mail app, the JMAbeshaus above was probably correct in that you need to open the "Mail" app>click on the word "Mail" in the upper left MenU Bar on the screen>click on Preferences>from here on out follow here:

In the past, you couldn't use Hotmail with the build-in Mail application in OS X (at least without third-party apps/plugins). But recently, POP3 access has become free for all Hotmail accounts, and you can now set up Hotmail in Mail; here's a little guide:

1. Start Mail
  2. Go to Mail » Preferences, and click on Accounts.
  3. Click on the plus button (lower left) to add a new account.
  4. Type must say POP, and give the account a description.
  5. You must fill in the following information correctly or the account will not work:
    • Incoming Mail Server: pop3.live.com
    • Username: Your Hotmail address (with @hotmail.com, @live.nl or any other @live or @hotmail extension included)
    • Password: Your Hotmail password
  6. Click on Continue
  7. Set the Outgoing Server to smtp.live.com, then click Continue, and click Continue again.

If everything was done correctly, you can now read and send Hotmail with the built-in Mail.app in OS X.

Jan 2, 2013 11:46 AM in response to stu46

Ok so i phoned the support line cost me £30 we chanced lots of settings which none of them worked so after about 30-40 mins the adviser said to reboot the mac. this took several hours and still did not work!!!! BUT here we are 4 days later and its now working!!! whats that all about???? It still says hotmail offline but hay it works so i think i am in for a refund!!!!!!!!!🙂

Jan 9, 2013 6:02 PM in response to stu46

Just FYI, I've had the same problem for months now. I have been accessing my hotmail via the web, but decided to try the OS X Mail app. I could get emails into the account with no problem but couldn't send. I read all the blog and support entries and have tried everything they recommended, like changing my computer name to one word, without success. Then last night, it just so happened that my broadband provider had to change out my wireless modem. As soon as he plugged in the new one, some emails that had been in my outbasket for a month went through instantly and all of a sudden my Mail, both incoming and outgoing now work. So I think people need to look at their router settings for the a solution to the problem.

Jan 12, 2013 5:29 AM in response to kennerhk

im having the same problem

has worked for years now both my partner and i are having the same problem - cant send- with each of our macs,

have tried everything - checking settings, reinstalling accounts, updating software, changing computer names............

- its not a router problem as all our iphones and ipads are working fine - just the macs

genius bar next stage

Jan 27, 2013 3:53 PM in response to stu46

I am on BT and have exactly the same problem. As I am brand new to Mac I took my Mac Book Pro into the Apple shop and explained what was happening. As soon as I loaded up in the shop the Hotmail 'offline' went "online" and the email was sent. I think it is something to do with BT but what I haven't a clue. If anyone finds out let me know or I might have to get the old PC out of storage!!!

I can't send hotmail emails from my mac but I can receive them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.