Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what to use Instead of Demo Monkey?

Hallo fellow developers

I have been watching alot of videos on the internet, to try and learn how the Xcode and iOS developing works.

I then ran in to a problem... i was watching a video, with a guy making an app, in the app he was using a program called DemoMonkey.

I went online to ry and finde it, it was hard, but eventually i found it. the next problem is then that, apple says:

Important This document is part of the Legacy section of the ADC Developer Library. This information should not be used for new development.

Current information on this Developer Library topic can be found here:

Cocoa > User Experience

http://developer.apple.com/legacy/mac/library/#samplecode/DemoMonkey/Introductio n/Intro.html

soo, the big question is, what to use instead? 🙂

Hope someone are able to help me.

Thanks!

Martin

iOS 6

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 9:14 AM

8 replies

Dec 22, 2012 10:06 AM in response to Spreeapps

What do you mean "what to use instead"? I've never heard of DemoMonkey. What you do need to "use" exactly?

The demos and example code that Apple publishes are just examples. They are not meant to be used. They are simple code meant to show how a particular API works. They are simplified on purpose. If your code looks like the demo code, you are doing it very wrong.

Jan 5, 2013 1:26 PM in response to Spreeapps

hopefully this'll be slightly more helpful than etresoft's response...

i'm a beginner too and i happened to run across a few tutorials mentioning demomonkey and i ran into the same roadblock you did. after some research, i haven't found an equivalent or replacement, so i ended up typing in the code myself. after a while, i was able to rely less and less on copying code and i've started making my own code up. so while demomonkey sounded like a great timesaver, i think it'd end up doing more harm than good... by relying on prebuilt snippets, you won't learn much.

on the other hand, if you have to have it, there are some books out there, like 'Beginning iOS Storyboarding: Easily Design and Develop Your App, from Concept and Vision to Code by Rory Lewis, Yulia McCarthy and Stephen M. MoracoApress © 2012' for one, that have links to compiled executables. so while you can still technically get it, it may link to a library that doesn't exist. but i don't know...

Apr 16, 2013 5:34 PM in response to notLenny

I was looking in 'Beginning iOS Storyboarding: Easily Design and Develop Your App, from Concept and Vision to Code by Rory Lewis, Yulia McCarthy and Stephen M. MoracoApress © 2012'. This was where I encountered the reference to Demo Monkey. I had not heard of this before. I am assuming, based on the threads I am seeing here, that I should be able to figure out story boards without Demo Monkey. I am fine with not relying on a prebuilt library or a shortcut tool to learn something, I just want to make sure I know what is necessary and what isn't. Also planning to read Dan Steinberg's storyboarding book!

Apr 16, 2013 6:14 PM in response to RedQueenCoder

The trick is to start small.

For example, first get the app to display something on the screen.

Nothing more.

Once you understand how that works, add an enhancement.

Does the change work?

Great.

That's the idea.

What you do is up to you but take things slow until the light bulb goes on and suddenly all this object-oriented stuff becomes clear.

Remember to keep a backup of any file you change so if you mess up, you can always revert back to a last known good condition.

Apr 16, 2013 6:20 PM in response to msuper69

I greatly appreciate the advice. I began learning Objective-C about 8 months ago. I am interested in learning Core Audio. When I started reading the Chris Adamson book I had a minor freak out because he was talking about calling an NSPool object.

I was very confused! I knew that when I start XCode there is an autoreleasepool command. Were they the same?? How much of this program is deprecated and how much do I need to actually code to get something to work?

I went to CocoaConf a month ago and Dan Steinberg did a talk going through all the changes that were made in the last few years and that was extraordinarily helpful.

Again, thank you so much for the pointers!

Apr 16, 2013 6:30 PM in response to RedQueenCoder

Make sure you are using the latest version of Xcode.

Also, enable ARC for any projects you work on.

ARC (Automatic Reference Counting) eliminates the need to manually keep track of alloc/init / release matching.

NSAutoReleasePool is not allowed nor needed when ARC is enabled. You can use @autoreleasepool blocks in those cases where a finer control of short-lived objects is needed. (You don't need to worry about @autoreleasepool blocks at first).

what to use Instead of Demo Monkey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.