Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX import Iphoto videos

I just bought the newest version of final cut Pro X but i still can't import my videos from iPhoto in the Media Browser.. What should I do?

Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 7:38 AM

23 replies

Mar 27, 2013 9:08 PM in response to jade.del

Far to much guessing going on here boys...I know everyone hates FCPX but everything is there...you just need to learn new tricks and short cuts. the answer is under:

File>>Import>>Files and then select MOVIES to the left in the grey box of the finder window...you may need to scroll down. You'll fine everything there including movies from iTunes! They didn't make it easy to find...but it's easy to use once you know!

May 27, 2013 11:22 AM in response to jade.del

what none of these people responding seem to understand is he has the NEWEST version of final cut pro x, and the instructions of ...

File>>Import>>Files

No longer exists as an option

It is now IMPORT MEDIA... the word FILES is no longer existant

Since the reform of IMPORT MEDIA, to FCP...

FCP and IPHOTO are no longer compatible.

I have the same problem, and I am trying to solve it, and no one on here seems to have a solution to the NEWEST version of FCP

Im very scared they have removed it as an option all together.

The iPHOTO LIBRARY is visable as an option on FCP IMPORT MEDIA page, but it is GRAYED out, signifying that the 2 programs and their medias are NO LONGER COMPATABLE

Can we get some experts in here please, who know what they are talking about and have the newest software at hand when they attempt to answer questions.

Thank you.

May 27, 2013 11:33 AM in response to Billyboybyers

The camera icon, no longer exists either

Again, null and void advice for the newest version of final cut.

Dragging videos from iphoto to final cut, one by one, also yields no effect.

The programs apparently no longer communicate with each other

To make matters worse, i tried to bypass all this by using iMovie, since iMovie DOES show up as a non grayed option, meaning it IS compatible with FCP. However, after waiting 4 hours for iMovie to import the iPhoto movies, it lists the footage under 'iphoto movies' and from the FCP side, this media folder is NOT THERE

Currently, Im doing a true IMPORT of EVENTS from iphoto to imovie. Projeted time is 36 hours.

This is not fun

Im running a brand new mac book pro retina with all the ram.

May 27, 2013 11:36 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

i did not have final cut pro yet.

I imported to iphoto because it seemed easy.

I run a high end nikon d600 and d7000, both shooting in 1080p, high quality, 24fps

Iphoto ***** them right in, no problem, and plays them back great. I didnt anticipate this being such a nightmare later

I have been in 'gather footage' mode the past few months, I have the footage no where else but on my iphoto library now. I have no other choice.

Jun 5, 2013 11:17 AM in response to jade.del

If you click on the camera icon and find your movies in the library, you can just click and drag the file into the timeline (anywhere) and it will automatically reference the file in your media window. You can delete them from your timeline to edit them normally. You will also have to analyze the video for audio, rolling shutter and all that fun jazz - but it's there and not too complicated for sure.

Jul 15, 2013 10:09 AM in response to Jeremy Mullens

Defintitely no longer works, that's what you used to be able to do but now you can preview the clips but this seems to be a shortcut that links to the original clip in iPhoto. You can no longer click and drag directly into the timeline nor can you drag an album or number of clips into the event library in the top left. Really hope that this gets sorted out soon, seems a very stranges thing to get rid of.

Jul 15, 2013 10:44 AM in response to David Fahnestock1

That's exactly what I used to do, and for some reason it's not letting me any more. I don't know if it has anything to do with a recent update. But I even opened up a project that I was working on before and the clips were no longer working in the event library, the times and everything were there, but they were blank. If I try and grab a video and drag into the timeline, it's now greyed out with a little circle with a line through it icon following the cursor around.

Just tried again now and even weirder, a couple of the videos do work and the rest don't. Definte head scratcher!

FCPX import Iphoto videos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.