Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MIDI patches only getting synth sounds

I recently changed to the new 2.5ghz mac mini. I imported all my custom midi instruments from my old garageband into their appropriate folders on the mac mini. But now most of my instruments just get synths sounds. Even some of the default instruments, like "Pop Kit". When i change to my custom instruments, (like my guitar i called 70s overdrive), and then change to a default instrument like Big Electric Lead, the default instrument just starts playing synth, instead of guitar. Help! I have literally hundreds of custom instruments. I can't lose them all.

If it helps i'm importing these instruments from a '09 unibody macbook and GB '09

GarageBand (Mac) '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 2:55 PM

5 replies

Dec 28, 2012 3:20 PM in response to RyleeStrange

Your old GarageBand Jam packs should still work. How did you migrate to Mt. Lion? Did you use Migration Assistant? Then probably your Instruments Library has not been copied properly, see Christoph Drösser's post:

Migration doesn't copy Instrument Library

To fix this, copy the Instruments Library from the folder on your old mac

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/

to the corresponding folder on your new Mac.

But i did hear about mainstage 2. how does that integrate with GB?

MainStage 2:

All five JamPacks in MainStage 2 will be installed at exactly the same locations that GarageBand uses. All Loops and instruments are fully compatible and you do not need to do any set-ups or additional installations to use these from GarageBand. It is really a good deal, if you compare it to theearlier prices of the JamPacks.

There are only a very few instruments that seem to have changed the names. Occosionally I find a drum, that has changed the name and I have to change the instrument, but I find that not very dramatic.

Regards

Léonie

Dec 28, 2012 3:55 PM in response to léonie

Yeah for some reason Migration Assistant didn't work. My old macbook kept shutting down after a few minutes, even though the power cable was plugged in. So i just moved everything manually. Which will mean my old jam packs won't work cos they're PPC (at least that's what the research i've found seems to say). So it looks like mainstage is going to be my only option to have working GB files again?

Dec 28, 2012 4:10 PM in response to RyleeStrange

Which will mean my old jam packs won't work cos they're PPC (at least that's what the research i've found seems to say).

The installers and documentation for some of the old JamPacks are Power PC applications, and do not run on Lion or Mt. Lion, but the Jam Packs itself are only media files and data files, not programs - they work with Mt. Lion. But to transfer them, you have to migrate your old system or to track down all fles in the system library, that contain Jam Pack media.

You need to transfer all files from the System Library in

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/

and also all folders with loops in

/Library/Audio/

Also, you may have to rebuild the Loop Index, see: Rebuilding the Loop Index in GarageBand

It might be easier to invest in MainStage 2; this way I got two additional JamPacks that I not yet had.

Regards

Léonie

MIDI patches only getting synth sounds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.