Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I watch my iTunes purchases (tv series & movies) on my Smart TV?

I have bought some tv series and movies from iTunes. I can watch them on my iMac and also on my iPad. The problem is we recently bought a smart tv and want to watch these programs on it. For some reason these are locked and I cannot do this. Is there a way that I can gain access to this? I do not have an Apple TV. I understand that this would allow me to do this.

I am not trying to do anything illegal I just want to watch my own purchases in my own home but not on my computer or my ipad.

If I cannot do this I will never buy tv series or movies from the itunes store again.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 8:08 PM

33 replies

Mar 18, 2017 7:37 AM in response to olibear

Hahaha.... You don't become one of the World's largest companies by respecting your customers! The best way to squeeze money from chumps is to abuse them in an "ecosystem"! Have you never had your Apple device suddenly tell you one day that your charging cable (which had always worked before) just suddenly one day stop working?

Thankfully, the Internet provides ways to liberate you from your mistakes in choosing a closed platform like Apple. The main problem is something called "Fairplay DRM protection", which if you can get around... Voila! I think somebody at Apple had a laugh at your expense by calling this protection mechanism "Fairplay"... Like a slap in the face!

Ultimately, "all is fair in love and war", so if you love Apple, be ready for casualties to your wallet, and just fork out the money for an AppleTV... Or regain your freedom and find an alternative... You can curse Apple all you want... And even wish plagues and afflictions upon your overlords, but in the end, you'll probably have to accept that you are powerless against "the machine", and give in to karma.

Oct 10, 2017 12:18 AM in response to olibear

Do you mean that watching iTunes movies and TV shows on Smart TV?

If so, unfortunately, there is no directly way for you to play iTunes videos on Smart TV, since iTunes APP is not available on Smart TV.

But there are two ways for you to do that:

The first approach is that you can purchase an Apple TV 4K from Apple. And Apple TV only is able to stream 4K videos.

The other way, also the common way is that you can use the DRmare M4V Converter to remove DRM from iTunes , and convert iTunes M4V to Sony TV compatible formats, such as MP4.

Jan 1, 2013 4:56 AM in response to olibear

Some of the newer mac laptops enable an HDMI connection which would work with your TV. I do not think iMacs do. Other than purchasing Apple TV 3 because iTunes Movies and TV shows are protected you could not play them excpet for streaming through an Apple TV

Personally I have my Apple TV hooked up a 46" Samsung LED and Onkyo Sound System and the movies in 1080p look and sound great. For the cost of £99 in the UK $99 in the US it seems a small price to pay to be able to sit back in the chair and watch on my TV

Sorry I could not help more

Jan 1, 2013 3:25 PM in response to Steve Taylor1

Thanks so much for reply Steve.

I didn't want to have to spend extra money on Apple TV when I have a fantastic Smart TV that plays other stuff I've bought elsewhere. It is disappointing. It's not like I'm trying to do something illegal. I just want to stream stuff off my iMac to my TV. I do not want to distribute it to others.

I guess I've learned a good lesson - I'll never buy stuff from iTunes again. Apple really is shooting itself in the foot with having there stuff locked.

Jan 2, 2013 10:02 AM in response to Steve Taylor1

How peculiar. My wife is from Bispham (Beaufort Avenue & Monty high school) but was originally from Heald Green (Elmsliegh Road).

I'm only around 500 yds from the Thatched (straight line) but have only been in there 2 or 3 times myself (I'm a landlord at Poulton Business Park and prefer not to bump into my tenants out of hours, so usually do my drinking down South Shore).

Small World. 🙂

How do I watch my iTunes purchases (tv series & movies) on my Smart TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.