Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloaded icc profiles from epson but can't open the compressed file

I updated the driver with no problem for an Epson r2400. But when I download the icc profiles from Epson I get a message

"You can't open the application "Glossy" because PowerPC applications are no longer supported"

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Kevin

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 7:23 PM

20 replies

Jan 1, 2013 10:27 PM in response to KAPhoto

Isn't it possible that using the Software Update to update your driver for the r2400 already updates the driver for the glossy, matte, fine art papers and canvas?

Have you opened a document (in Photoshop, I presume) and gone to File... Print... and then see if these types of Papers are listed?

I cannot do so, because I only have the Epson Artisan 810 and not your printer to attempt to replicate your situation.

I also tried to install the four VISE installers into my implementation of Snow Leopard in Parallels (which has Rosetta), but again, these attempts to install the SPR2400...icc files do not seem to leave these files anywhere on my virtual Snow Leopard hard drive that I have looked.

Do you know where these would be installed? I have looked in Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/, but I do not see any new SPR2400...icc files there either. Again, perhaps because I cannot install the printer driver, even though I attempted to do so.

Jan 2, 2013 6:05 AM in response to KAPhoto

I downloaded and installed all of the profiles today. As expected, they all went to the /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ folder when the installers were run. I installed them one set at a time and put them in their respective folders (Gloss, Matte, Fine Art, Canvas).

I put them on my personal web space in a .zip file. You can download the file by clicking here. Clicking will initiate a download.

Jan 2, 2013 11:58 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Kurt Lang wrote:

I downloaded and installed all of the profiles today. As expected, they all went to the /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ folder when the installers were run...

MichaelLAX wrote:

I also tried to install the four VISE installers into my implementation of Snow Leopard in Parallels (which has Rosetta), but again, these attempts to install the SPR2400...icc files do not seem to leave these files anywhere on my virtual Snow Leopard hard drive that I have looked.

Checking that location, I see that indeed the VISE installers did install these SPR2400...icc files on my virtual Snow Leopard drive, as well...

Good work Kurt!

Jan 2, 2013 3:29 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

Got one of the last Mac Pro 5,1 (mid 2010) models from B&H Photo they had in stock that specifically came with Snow Leopard. I really didn't have a reason to upgrade from my 2008 Mac Pro yet, but wanted to get as new of a piece of hardware that I could that still ran SL. Bought it about 2 weeks after Lion's release.

I'm currently keeping it at SL for various reasons. For example with SL, it wasn't until 10.6.3 that it stable enough to use for prepress production work. By then, Apple had finally worked out all of the worst font bugs. They couldn't bring the old code forward anymore and had to rewrite the font engine from scratch for SL. So in a like manner, I'm still kind of waiting for Mountain Lion to settle. It actually looks pretty good now, I've just been to busy (and lazy) to start installing all of my software onto the test partition ML is on.

Most importantly though, is that I have two currently irreplaceable pieces of software that require Rosetta. One is Monaco Profiler. I do have i1 Profiler, but it lacks two extremely important functions Monaco Profiler has. One is the ability to make scanner profiles. The other is a true profile editor. i1 Profiler has an iterative profiling function, but all it's good for is tweaking prints to match screen color closer after you make the original printer profile you're working on. Nice I suppose, but a useless way to tweak CMYK profiles for making contract proofs in the printing industry. Your objective is to match the color of another printing device (a professional printing press normally), not your monitor. I can create the initial press profile in i1 Profiler, but if it needs editing, I have to do that in Monaco Profiler. Lots of folks have told X-Rite we NEED these functions. They recognize that, and users on our end also realize i1 Profiler is a 1.0 product and needs a bit of time to mature. Hopefully, I won't need Monaco Profiler anymore when we see version 2 of i1 Profiler. That'll be one PPC software down.

The other is our scanners. We have two Eversmart Supremes. First designed and made by Scitex (an Israeli company), later owned by Creo, and then Kodak. The software engineers always did as little as possible to update the software for OS X. The last release was for Snow Leopard where a few items had to be Intel native for it to work, but the bulk of the interface is still PPC code only. Kodak closed down the scanner division, sold off all of the hardware in the Israel plant and bulldozed the building. This is very proprietary software and hardware, which were designed together. There is no third party software to drive these scanners. There's also no other flat bed scanner that even comes close to the quality of these devices. They're as close to the output of a true PMT (photomultiplier tubes) drum scanner you can get in a CCD scanner. Unless someone else manages to finagle the source code out of Kodak for these scanners and finishes porting the rest of the code to native Intel, it's going to be forever stuck at Snow Leopard as the newest version of the Mac OS you can run it on.

It also doesn't work in a VM. I have Snow Leopard Server and installed it in a copy of Parallels, then the scanner software. It runs, but it can't see the scanner from within a VM since it can only find the hardware on a FireWire connection, and there is no VM software that supports FireWire port linking. That's another item many people are ragging on Parallels and VMWare for. Why isn't there FireWire support? If it had that, I could keep using the scanners for years without having to keep an old Mac running just for the scanners. FireWire ports may disappear from Macs fairly soon, but Thunderbolt is directly compatible with FireWire. With a simple adaptor, you can plug a FireWire device into a Thunderbolt port. So even that would work if the VM vendors would at least support Thunderbolt port linking.

So for now, having Macs that can boot to Snow Leopard are a must for us. (Hmm, that response became rather wordy. 😉 )

Jan 2, 2013 6:39 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

Indeed, the driver did install these, which do seem to support a variety of papers that appear when I checked the Print Settings dialog

file://localhost/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/ICCProfiles/EP2400BSGloss yPK.icc

file://localhost/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/ICCProfiles/EP2400BSLustr ePK.icc

file://localhost/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/ICCProfiles/EP2400BSMatte MK.icc

Thanks

May 10, 2014 8:36 AM in response to Michael Stano

Hello Michael,

The link to the zip file I made is currently dead. The original source of the profiles is still available directly from Epson.

Those, however, are still old Vise PPC installers, so won't do anyone running Lion or later any good. I probably removed the .zip file from my web space a while back when I was cleaning it up. I just downloaded and installed the profiles again. Also again separated them by folder for gloss, matte, canvas and fine art.

I can't upload it back to my web space at the moment, but I'll post again when I have a zip file by the same name available, and the previous link above should then work. It'll be an hour or so.

Downloaded icc profiles from epson but can't open the compressed file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.