Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any way to open AppleWorks .cwk files?

I was going through some old files on a flash drive and I noticed there were a few old .cwk files. Of course, there isn't AppleWorks anymore, instead there's iWork. Unfortunately, I can't open these old files with iWork. Is there still some hope for converting and opening .cwk files? Any help is appreciated greatly.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 12:15 PM

104 replies

Sep 23, 2017 2:51 AM in response to Brad Voorhies

Hello,

there exists many other applications to open AppleWorks files:

• LibreOffice(free)
  • the last version of NeoOffice(paid) which is now based on LibreOffice 4.4: more precisely, I just check the free viewer, and it does contain an AppleWorks/ClarisWorks filter...
  • ( if you want to retrieve only the text like in TextEdit, all basic text editors: vi, emacs, ... and probably sed, .. can do that in a Terminal's window).
  • using a virtual machine, you can also emulate a Windows, MacClassic, OSX 10.6 machine and have a working version of AppleWorks (not free and can depend on some copyright conditions).

Concerning the conversion in batch, I do not know Document converter, probably the simpler solution, but:

(*) this version can be interesting if you want to convert some cwk's databases as it may correct many problems.

Sep 8, 2017 2:31 AM in response to David Babsky

Hello David,

concerning the files protected by a password, you can try to open them with LibreOffice (free) (*) : depending on the complexity of the files, the results will be correct or not (but at least you must retrieve most of the files' contents).

(*) i.e. normally, if I do not make mistake, AppleWorks adds an unknown structure to indicate that the file is protected (and probably to check if the password is correct) and I choose to ignore it when I parse the file...

Sep 23, 2017 2:00 AM in response to BigTarantula99

The second is an app I just thought looked cool and it is. Personally I prefer paid apps, and I have my reasons, but just this morning I found Document Converter. Company is RootRise Technologies. Tried it once with an entire folder (about ten documents) and it was awesome. Very quick, very clean, converted to RTF which I will convert to Pages; so much easier than the whole TextEdit process. It's a matter of how much time you have, really.

Oct 1, 2017 2:04 AM in response to BigTarantula99

Yes. As long as they are documents that aren't earlier than ClarisWorks 5, you will find that the free LibreOffice suite will open them. https://www.libreoffice.org

You can't re-save them in their original format, and you may find you need to hunt down older fonts to see them 'as they were', but you can open and save them in a newer format.

Any way to open AppleWorks .cwk files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.