Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart Playlist does not play new songs. Any clue?

I created a Smart Playlist that referes to another Smart Playlist. This other playlist selects randomly songs that were last played before a certain date. (So if a song from that playlist is played, it is automatically replaced by another one). The newly added songs do not seem to be played at all. I need to restart iTunes to do so. Any clue?

AMD 1,8 Gh, Windows Vista

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 9:37 AM

5 replies

Jan 5, 2013 1:50 PM in response to Luc Loiselle

In principal, putting a Smart Playlist into another Smart Playlist will work. However, if the rules of the Playlists are conflicting, that may be why you have an issue. First of all, can we be clear on exactly which Playlists are doing what?

Are you saying that songs recently added to your iTunes Library are:

1. not in the first Playlist,
  2. not in the second Playlist but are in the first one, or
  3. that they are in the second list, but simply don't play.

or that songs, newly added to the second Playlist are there, but don't get played? In this case, how many songs are in the list?

Can you take screenshots of the two playlists, or list them here. In this screenshot for example;

User uploaded file

...this Playtlist refers to five other Smart Playlists. The resulting Playlist is usually over 300 songs. So I don't always know if a song in the list ever gets played, simply because there are so many. I do know however, that the list plays a random selection of my songs and gets updated successfully when I sync the iPod with iTunes.

If you list the Playlists here (rather than screenshot them), can you also mention the top left tick-box section; "match any/all of the following rules". It changes according to the fields below it.

Jan 5, 2013 6:44 PM in response to the fiend

Thank you for taking the time.

I don't use english for iTunes so I could be mistaking in the translation of the terms used.

My main playlist (the one I listen to) has 2 conditions:

Nb of read smaller than 3 (so I get to listen to the songs I just downloaded)

Playlist equal to "Random 250" (so I get to listen to some of my other songs)

My "Random 250" playlist contains only one condition:

Last read smaller than a particular date (so when a song plays, it is being replaced in the play list by another one)

I fixed a limit to 250 songs in the playlist.

Live updating is checked in both playlists.

Jan 6, 2013 3:22 AM in response to Luc Loiselle

If there are only a few new songs in the Playlist (for example, two albums with a total of 25 songs), then that is only one new song to every ten "random" songs. So it is possible that you may only hear a new song evry occassionaly.

You could try a variation of your list. For example; the Main Playlist looks at;

• Random 250 Playlist. (Alternatively, reduce the number of songs in this list.)
  • Recently Added Playlist. (This list should be in iTunes already. If it is missing, see this tip from turingtest2: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2782.) Songs in this list stay in it for two weeks after you import them into your iTunes library. You can change the time if you wish.)

One thing you haven't confirmed yet. Do the new songs appear in your Main Playlist? If they do, then try my suggestion above. If they do not, then there is a different issue to be looked at.

Smart Playlist does not play new songs. Any clue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.