Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loops from Mainstage 2 sound doubled/off in GB '11?

Just downloaded Mainstage2, mainly to use the Apple loops within GB. The samples are great, but they are sounding doubled (slapback echo), or as if the sample rates are not matching my system. The effect is a doubled, overly effected sound that cannot possibly be the way the sample was recorded. It almost sounds as if it could be a latency thing, as the sample sometimes sounds ok for the first seconds and then doubles, but not always. Most obvious on vocals and single bass notes.

I'm running a brand new system--GB '11, OSX Mountain Lion on a mini w/ fusion drive, and a thunderbolt display. I'm using audio from the display to monitor.

Thanks in advance.

GarageBand (Mac) '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 6:34 PM

9 replies

Jan 5, 2013 9:19 PM in response to wismith13

Hi wismith13: I'm a first time user to these forums. I just got a new iMac 27 inch with Mountain Lion OS and discovered the Jam Packs and additional Garage Band instruments no longer work in Garage Band. I do have Logic and Mainstage as well but really haven't put in the neccessary time to learn those programs. Are you saying the Jam Packs in Mainstage2 can be used in Garage Band 6.0.5?

Does anyone know if there are similar problems using Jam Packs with Logic?

Does anyone know if there will be an update fix for this problem?

Apple Care was no help.

Thanks

Jan 6, 2013 8:59 AM in response to Eddie1951

I was under the impression that the loops included with Mainstage are the same as were for sale in prior versions of the program. But they DO work with GB. The draw to Mainstage for me was not necessarily to prep a live performance right now, but to take advantage of the massive amount of sampling content that could work in Mainstage, GB, and Logic--For $29.

Jan 6, 2013 9:20 AM in response to Eddie1951

I just got a new iMac 27 inch with Mountain Lion OS and discovered the Jam Packs and additional Garage Band instruments no longer work in Garage Band

But they do. Only there are two problems with installing them:

• If you want to install them using the original media, that will not work with all JamPacks. Some installers use PowerPC applications, that cannot run on Mt. Lion or Lion. You will have to rip the DVDs and install manually
  • If you want to migrate them from an older Mac Installation, the migration can go wrong and forget to install the Instrument Library, see Christoph Drösser's post.

Migration doesn't copy Instrument Library

So you have to copy the instrument library manually.

Regards Léonie

Jan 6, 2013 9:31 AM in response to wismith13

"I was under the impression that the loops included with Mainstage are the same as were for sale in prior versions of the program. But they DO work with GB."

Thanks wimith13. That's GREAT to hear! I do have MainStage 2.0.1 but of course that isn't working either, so I'll have to spring for the $30. update. Apple is taking a beating in these forums because they are nickel and diming their long time loyal customers $29. at a time for adaptors or software updates, etc. etc. After having just spent $4,600. on new Mac gear, (computer, iPhones, and iPad mini, you'd think that would be enough, right?

wismith13: So when I download the latest Mainstage version from the app store and install it, are the Jam Pack loops and instruments automatically visible in Garage Band 11, or do I need to do something else to install them?

Thanks!

Jan 6, 2013 9:40 AM in response to léonie

leonieDF wrote:

If you want to install them using the original media, that will not work with all JamPacks. Some installers use PowerPC applications, that cannot run on Mt. Lion or Lion. You will have to rip the DVDs and install manually

As always, spot on, Léonie. BTW, here are some instructions on doing the install:

http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/GBFAQ.html#installjampack107

(Let the page FULLY load. The link to your answer is at the top of your screen)

Jan 6, 2013 9:47 AM in response to léonie

Okay, thanks leonieDF.

I did use the Migration Assistant and Time Machine to get my new iMac up and running, and so apparently that is why I'm experiencing the disappearing Garage Band Jam Packs issue.

I think I'll try and download the updated Mainstage for $30. and see how I can import the Jam Pack loops and hopefully additional instruments, (which is even more important), back into Garage Band. That would be easier than finding my original discs which are buried somewhere in my garage. (No pun intended).

In my opinion, without all the additional Garage Band Jam Pack content, it isn't a very useful program.

Thanks leonieDF! I don't know if you know it, but you're somewhat of a "Rock Star" at the Apple Care help desk. I was actually referred to one of your posts when I made a help call the other day!

Jan 6, 2013 9:48 AM in response to HangTime

You guys are right about previous versions of MainStage having issues. It is frustrating to legacy customers--I was pounded in a similar way repeatedly via Pro Tools. However, the fact that Logic has now come down to $199 and MainStage is where it is, I have to think Apple is positioned well moving forward. We'll see.

There are Youtube videos about using the files, but they will appear in your GB browsing menu as long as you select "Show All" in the sound browser on the right margin.

Keep in mind, if you purchase Mainstage2, the additional content needs to be downloaded and does not automatically appear. It's a sizable load (like 16GB), so leave yourself some time.

BTW, anyone know how I can use the great Guitar Modeling from Mainstage in GB? GB is not bad, but MS is really outstanding.

Jan 6, 2013 10:14 AM in response to Eddie1951

I did use the Migration Assistant and Time Machine to get my new iMac up and running, and so apparently that is why I'm experiencing the disappearing Garage Band Jam Packs issue.

It should not be that difficult to complete the migration, if you still have your old Mac.

Then all that should be missing is the instruments library, but compare the files in your system library on the old mac to the files in the corresponding folder on your new mac.

Check the following folders:

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/

all folders should have been transferred by Migration assistant, but probably the folder "Instrument Library" needs copying

and

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/

If you have to add folders with lopps, drag them onto the Loop Browser to index them.

I think I'll try and download the updated Mainstage for $30. and see how I can import the Jam Pack loops and hopefully additional instruments, (which is even more important), back into Garage Band.

If you did not own all Jam Packs earlier, that is the easiest option and will save a lot of bother. I bought Mainstage just to get the "Voices" pack and the RemixTools.

Thanks leonieDF! I don't know if you know it, but you're somewhat of a "Rock Star" at the Apple Care help desk. I was actually referred to one of your posts when I made a help call the other day!

😊 🙂 Thanks for telling me! What a nice compliment - that made my day. Knowing that, I will be twice as careful from now on, when posting.

If I were Apple Care, I'd rather refer to the Bullets & Bones!

Chhers

Léonie

Loops from Mainstage 2 sound doubled/off in GB '11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.