Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disnoted and SyncServer using 100% of cpu on Windows 8

When I run iTunes, aftter a little time, disnoted starts to take 50% of my cpu time. After syncing, and removing my iPad mini, Syncserver then starts to take the other 50%. This continues until I kill those tasks. I am running Windows 8 and the latest version of iTunes. Anything I can do?

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 12:43 PM

9 replies

Dec 26, 2014 12:54 PM in response to ronsat

I have the same problem as you have described. I talked to an Apple "expert" and told me to uninstall and reinstall complete Itunes package. I did this but the problem is still there with disnoted using 50% of my CPU! Is it a problem with my antivirus (Kaspersky) or windows 8 or what? Each time, we must open Task Manager and kill disnoted or syncserver.

Dec 26, 2014 5:45 PM in response to michelfromboucherville

On my system, if I uninstall Kaspersky the problem goes away. Kaspersky said that while their product brings out the bug present in Apple's software, it happens with other products too. I still have an open ticket with Kaspersky who is supposed to notify me of progress on this issue. I haven't heard anything. Three things are necessary to have the looping problem in distnoted and syncserver - Windows version of iTunes, Windows 8.0 on a 32 bit system or Windows 8.1 on either 32 or 64 bit Windows and another product such as Kaspersky. It's a shame no one has addressed this problem for this length of time. The bottom line from my point of view is that the problem ultimately is Apple's. Their product software should never loop tying up a CPU - that's just sloppy programming that could easily be worked around if they wanted to even if there are bugs in the OS or other third party packages.

Feb 8, 2015 10:01 AM in response to JAta2

By now we got iTunes 12.1.0.71 and the problem still occurs on Windows 8.1 if Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 (latest version 15.0.2.361) is installed. On my PC this high CPU usages already happens while iTunes syncs my iPhone. Kaspersky Version 2015 doesn't need to be running. It's enough, if it is installed. Going back to Kaspersky Version 2014 and the problem disappears. Even if the problem only happens with Kaspersky 2015 installed, their developers blame Apple for a faulty iTunes software (ref. "http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=301117&view=findpost&p=2316253").

While the problem is around for more than 6 months, it seems neither Kaspersky nor Apple will take action to fix it. I reported the issue to Apple and Kaspersky support. Is there anything else we, as simple users, can do to speed up a solution?

May 27, 2015 1:59 AM in response to michelfromboucherville

Similar problem here and I wanted to share what resolved my problem with iTunes.

Windows 8.1

iTunes 12.1.2.27 (64 bit)

iDevices: iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini

Problem:

iTunes takes forever to complete a sync. The only way to get iTunes to sync each device was to: open iTunes, then close iTunes, open Task Manager and Kill "disnoted", open iTunes, connect device and sync. Then wait for the sync to complete (5 -20 mins). To sync another device, I would have to restart/reboot my computer and repeat the process for my next iDevice.

Observe:

With no iDevice connected, open/close iTunes. With iTunes closed, opened Task Manager and observed the "disnoted (32)" service still running at ~50%. Sometimes, the "syncserver" service was also running and together CPU was running at +90%. This was on a new laptop purchased in March 2015. The problem did not present itself until about a month after initial purchase.

Resolution:

Changed the properties of two files: disnoted.exe & SyncServer.exe

* Compatibility mode: Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 7

* Settings: Run this program as an administrator

Credits:

Found a couple of posts online but they didn't have everything written in one post.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6453104

http://www.postseek.com/meta/f6454bdd130383dce707c0fab8bff2b5

How to:

Files are located at:

disnoted.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support

SyncServer.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support

Perform the following for each file

* open Windows Explorer and navigate to the path

* right click on the file

* select "Properties" > "Compatibility" Tab > "Change settings for all users"

Compatibility mode:

* click "Check box" for "Run this program in compatibility mode for"

* select "drop down arrow" & select "Windows 7"

Settings:

* click "Check box" for "Run this program as an administrator"

* click "Apply" > "Ok" > "Ok"

After making changes for both files, restarted/rebooted PC, launch iTunes & Sync.

Note: Tested syncing for a couple of days prior to posting. Can sync all three iDevices without any reboots. Check Task Manager & nothing hogging CPU.

May 27, 2015 5:07 AM in response to rickO1128

When you select "Run as an administrator" on these two files, if UAC is enabled, these files won't run - they will start loading and immediately exit. Similarly, if you picked compatibility mode with XP, it would automatically try and run as administrator with similar results. This used to cause problems. With the latest version of iTunes, this appears to be benign in that no functionality appears to be lost without these programs. It still does not give me a warm and fuzzy, however but appears to be a workaround for now. Note: I don't think you need Windows 7 compatibility for this workaround - on my 64 bit Windows 8.1 system, "Run as administrator" with no compatibility specified appeared to do the trick.

Disnoted and SyncServer using 100% of cpu on Windows 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.