Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much memory, ram, etc do I need for IOS development

Hello,

I am trying to figure out what I need in a mac to delve into several IOS app development projects I have in mind. Budget is an issue, but I don't want to get a device that can't meet my needs. What hardware would you suggest---minimum RAM, hard drive memory, screen size, etc.

In addition, I have been considering used and refurbished Macs. However, I have run into some issues concerning OS X compatibility with pre-2008 hardware (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4178991?answerId=19497851022#19497851022 and https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4097919?answerId=18905140022#18905140022). What year and models would you suggest?

I have considered Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, and the Mac Mini. Would these suffice, or should I look into a used desktop computer? What year should I look for, considering my budget and the hardware compatibility issues?

Thank you for your help!

tylerfromky

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 7:23 PM

Get a recent model refurbished Mac min with at least 4GB or RAM. This is the least costly way to get into iOS app development; plus the refurbished items in the Apple Store have the same warranty as new.

Earlier Macs (like the kind you refer to) are too ancient to run the current version of Xcode (which is the version you want; free on the Mac App Store).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2013 7:23 PM in response to tylerfromky

Get a recent model refurbished Mac min with at least 4GB or RAM. This is the least costly way to get into iOS app development; plus the refurbished items in the Apple Store have the same warranty as new.

Earlier Macs (like the kind you refer to) are too ancient to run the current version of Xcode (which is the version you want; free on the Mac App Store).

How much memory, ram, etc do I need for IOS development

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.