Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to check if the iOS device is in sleep mode?

Hi All,

I have used GPS location updates in my application. I want to detect if the iOS device is in sleep mode so that I can turn off the GPS and optimize the battery use. I have already tried pausesLocationupdates in iOS 6, but it does not work as desired.

I want to turn off the GPS as soon as the device goes to sleep mode. Is there any way to achieve this functionality ?

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6, pausesLocationUpdatesAutomatically

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 10:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 10:29 PM

If iOS goes to sleep, your app will receive a notification automatically.

What your app does after that is whatever you've coded it to do.

When iOS wakes up, your app will also receive a notification automatically.

iOS handles powering up/down the various radios automatically. You don't have to worry about it.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2013 10:29 PM in response to Rohit_Kashyap

If iOS goes to sleep, your app will receive a notification automatically.

When iOS wakes up, your app will also receive a notification automatically.

iOS handles powering up/down the various radios automatically. You don't have to worry about it.

Jan 8, 2013 10:47 PM in response to msuper69

Thanks Michael.

Could you please mention which notification will my app receive?

"resignactive" will only be called when application goes to background, however I want to catch the scenario when my application is already running in the background and the device goes to sleep, the screen blackens, at that time I want to turn off the GPS, so please mention which notification will my application get in this scenario ?

Jan 9, 2013 10:00 PM in response to Rohit_Kashyap

I want to detect the lock/unlock events in the device, so far I got the darwin notifications as given below,:

-(void)registerForDarwinNotif

{

//Screen lock notifications

CFNotificationCenterAddObserver(CFNotificationCenterGetDarwinNotifyCenter(), //center

NULL, // observer

displayStatusChanged, // callback

CFSTR("com.apple.iokit.hid.displayStatus"), // event name

NULL, // object

CFNotificationSuspensionBehaviorDeliverImmediately);

CFNotificationCenterAddObserver(CFNotificationCenterGetDarwinNotifyCenter(), //center

NULL, // observer

CFSTR("com.apple.springboard.lockstate"), // event name

NULL, // object

NULL, // observer

CFSTR("com.apple.springboard.hasBlankedScreen"), // event name

NULL, // object

}

//My call back

static void displayStatusChanged(CFNotificationCenterRef center, void *observer, CFStringRef name, const void *object, CFDictionaryRef userInfo)

{

NSLog(@"IN Display status changed");

// you might try inspecting the `userInfo` dictionary, to see

// if it contains any useful info

NSLog(@"Darwin notification NAME = %@",name);

}

I am able to get the darwin notifications when device is locked/unlocked, but the real problem is how identify between if the notification has come from locking or the unlocking of the device. Console logs are:

Jan 10 11:29:01 Frost-bank LockDetectDemo[2086] <Warning>: IN Display status changed

Jan 10 11:29:01 Frost-bank LockDetectDemo[2086] <Warning>: Darwin notification NAME = com.apple.springboard.lockcomplete

Jan 10 11:29:01 Frost-bank LockDetectDemo[2086] <Warning>: IN Display status changed

Jan 10 11:29:01 Frost-bank LockDetectDemo[2086] <Warning>: Darwin notification NAME = com.apple.springboard.lockstate

Jan 10 11:29:01 Frost-bank LockDetectDemo[2086] <Warning>: Darwin notification NAME = com.apple.springboard.hasBlankedScreen

Jan 10 11:29:01 Frost-bank LockDetectDemo[2086] <Warning>: Darwin notification NAME = com.apple.iokit.hid.displayStatus

Is there a way to check if the iOS device is in sleep mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.