Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mismatch between the iPhone serial number label & the software serial number displayed on the screen.

Anybody has this problem where the iphone serial number label and the software serial number does not match? I went to the authorised service center QCD at Singapore and the staff there (by the name of carmen) informed me that they can't give me a one-to-one replacement on the spot even though my handset is still under warranty. My iphone 4s has this wi-fi greyed out problem, that is why i went down to the service center. I find it very strange and demand an explanation. However the manager there (desmond) told me that they can't do the exchange nor comment on why this problem. They have to wait for apple's instruction

Could the phone been tampered with at the factory level? or apple store sold me a refurbished set that had been tampered with? I had never send the phone for any repair at all nor open up the phone before

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 7:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2018 10:41 PM

I'm from Brazil and I had a similar problem. I bought an iPhone 4s directely from Online Apple Store here in my country, and everything was ok until then (serial numbers did match). About five months later I had this problem with the power button and I went to an authorized center and claimed for another device. The service was really fast and good.. in about 3 days I had I my new device (that they gave me wrapped in plastic and out of any box ... but it looked brand new.... is that normal?) . I just took my phone e came home satisfied.

Six months later (still under warranty) my wi-fi just stopped working from day to night. I came back to the same authorized a claimed for another phone and got really surprised when the attendant said "The serial number that is on your phone does not match with the number here in our system" (they had two serial numbers in their system: my first iPhone and the one replaced.. the second was suposed to match, but it didn't) . I told him that this was impossible, cause I didn't leave my phone to any repair or switched to anybody, and explained what happend before. If there was a mistake, it was their mistake .. Nobody checks serial number when receving a new phone (from now on, I will). They probably gave the phone that I was suposed to recieve to another person and I recieved another one, or there was a labeling problem at the factory. When I said that I heard " This is impossible, sir". The fact is that makes me wonder about this new phones that they replace us, are the really new ? But this is as discussion for another topic. How that particular iPhone was with me was a mistery for them and they took it for investigating my problem.

However, now since 14/05/2013 I'm without my iPhone and they are still trying to solve my problem.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2018 10:41 PM in response to Sherinlee

I'm from Brazil and I had a similar problem. I bought an iPhone 4s directely from Online Apple Store here in my country, and everything was ok until then (serial numbers did match). About five months later I had this problem with the power button and I went to an authorized center and claimed for another device. The service was really fast and good.. in about 3 days I had I my new device (that they gave me wrapped in plastic and out of any box ... but it looked brand new.... is that normal?) . I just took my phone e came home satisfied.

Six months later (still under warranty) my wi-fi just stopped working from day to night. I came back to the same authorized a claimed for another phone and got really surprised when the attendant said "The serial number that is on your phone does not match with the number here in our system" (they had two serial numbers in their system: my first iPhone and the one replaced.. the second was suposed to match, but it didn't) . I told him that this was impossible, cause I didn't leave my phone to any repair or switched to anybody, and explained what happend before. If there was a mistake, it was their mistake .. Nobody checks serial number when receving a new phone (from now on, I will). They probably gave the phone that I was suposed to recieve to another person and I recieved another one, or there was a labeling problem at the factory. When I said that I heard " This is impossible, sir". The fact is that makes me wonder about this new phones that they replace us, are the really new ? But this is as discussion for another topic. How that particular iPhone was with me was a mistery for them and they took it for investigating my problem.

However, now since 14/05/2013 I'm without my iPhone and they are still trying to solve my problem.

Jan 9, 2013 8:33 PM in response to Sherinlee

I just spoke to the QCD people (who are apple authorised service provider) in Singapore. They say they are vey confident they have followed the apple protocol (which means the warranty is not valid) and thus can't do the one to one replacement on the spot.

Find it strange if there is a mismatch and then the warranty is broken.

Anybody else has this same problem? Maybe you can share with me how the problem got solved

Sep 5, 2013 10:44 AM in response to Sherinlee

Hi,

I am from India I bought iphone 4s in feb 2013, from an authorised istore , offlate I faced the problem of wifi graying out. When I took it to the nearest istore they said that the serial number in the sticker within the phone has a mismatch with the number shown in the screen .

I understand that the serial number is available on the screen on the sim tray and on the sticker near the battery (which can be accessed only by opening the phone),while the serial number on screen and on sim tray match, the one on the sticker doesnt match. No idea how this has occured need suggestion of what needs to be done now.

Please let me know

mismatch between the iPhone serial number label & the software serial number displayed on the screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.